The Bottom Line
- Safer Turkey Frying Option
- Designed for indoor use
- Can handle only up to a 14 pound turkey
- Can be used as a standard fryer
- Slow heat up, and recover times
- Thermostatically controlled turkey fryer
- Digital timer for controlled frying
- Fully enclosed design with viewing window and filter to reduce the oil smell
- Can handle turkeys up to 14 pounds
- Tap drain for easy emptying
Guide Review - Masterbuilt Butterball Professional Series Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer
Built like any other modern fryer this unit has a folding lid that completely covers the oil chamber, keeping the oil and some of the smell inside. The electronic controls let you select the temperature (up to 375 degrees F) and the time you want to cook for. The frying chamber is shaped somewhat like a turkey so you don't have to use as much oil. Of course this means less thermal mass so the temperature will drop dramatically when you put the turkey in the oil. This means a longer period when the turkey is soaking in oil before is starts cooking, but this won't be too long so it won't affect the flavor too much.
While designed for indoor use, this turkey fryer still has many of the same risks of other turkey fryers. If you turkey isn't thawed and dried completely the oil can still boil up. Of course with less oil the risk is less.