The Bottom Line
- Wide top pot makes overflows virtually impossible
- Automatic electronic shut-off and restart
- Stable, wide leg stand reduces tip over risk
- Complete Turkey Fryer kit with everything included but the oil
- Thermostatic control limits cooking temperature
- Loose wiring hanging off the bottom of the unit
- 50,000 BTU cast iron burner
- Stable four leg wide stance stand for stability
- Large capacity stock pot with large overflow space at the top
- Spigot type drain in the bottom of the stock pot
- Electronic ignition with temperature controlled auto shut-off and restart feature
- Includes turkey fryer stand, stock pot, turkey basket with two handles, and external thermometer
Guide Review - North American Outdoors 35-Quart Aluminum Saf-T-Fryer - Discontinued
We've probably all heard the horror stories associated with deep fried turkey. This process is considered so dangerous that no turkey fryer has received an UL stamp of approval. Fire Marshall's loathe them and hospitals fear them, but you can't deny the great taste of a deep fried turkey (Cajun style of course). You also can't deny that being able to cook a 20-pound turkey in 60 minutes is very cool.
This complete fryer kit was built with all the risks in mind. To prevent the unit from being tipped over, the Saf-T-Fryer has an extra wide four legged design. To keep the frying pot on the burner this unit has an enclosed cage that keeps the pot on the burner. The cooking pot is design with an extra wide top section that makes it virtually impossible for the unit to boil over (any oil in the top section has a lot more space to move around in and will cool down quickly).
When frying a turkey it is important that you stay with the fryer and monitor it at all times. Since the cooking time is short this shouldn't be a problem. This unit incorporates a temperature safety feature that will help you monitor the fryer. If the temperature of the oil goes above 450 degrees F the burner shuts off. Once the temperature drops back down to 400 degrees F it turns on again. This keeps the unit at an ideal temperature. Unfortunately some people have reported that they have had trouble getting the unit up to the ideal frying temperature so there seem to be some design issues with this unit.
All of these considerations make this one of the safest ways to deep fry anything. When this unit was designed a lot of thought was given to presenting a complete package and this unit does it. For around $100USD you get the pot, fryer stand, burner and hose, fryer basket, thermometer, and lid.