Grilling the perfect steak is easy. Be patient and remember that timing is everything.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Let the steak reach room temperature.
- Trim the steak of excess fat. Strips of fat should only be 1/4 inch thick.
- Wash in clean water.
- Season to your liking. Some fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, whatever you like.
- Preheat grill. Gas grill on high or a single layer of white coals for charcoal.
- Oil the meat. Oil on the grate will burn off so brush a light coat of oil on the steak.
- Place steak on grill and close the lid for one minute.
- Lift lid and turn steak over. Close lid and continue grilling for another minute.
- Turn again and continue for 2 plus 1 minute per 1/2 inch (1 1/2 inch equals 3 minutes). These times are, of course, estimates. Depending on your grill and other conditions it might take less or more time. This is where experience comes into play.
- Turn for the forth time and continue grilling for 2 plus 1 minute per 1/2 inch.
- Check for doneness with a meat thermometer.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes before carving or serving.
- Charcoal grills can be hotter than gas so add a little extra time if you grill is gas.
- Letting the steak rest before you eat it is an important trick. This allows the juices to seep throughout the meat and gives you a much more flavorful steak.
What You Need
- A Good Meat Thermometer
- A Grill
- A Pair of Tongs