The Bottom Line
- Excellent temperature control
- Very heavy construction
- Allows for simultaneous grilling and smoking
- Very high capacity
- Traditional charcoal/wood smoker
- Heavy construction means heavy smoker
- Requires frequent tending
- 5487 square inches of cooking space (can hold a 250 pound hog)
- Separate grilling space allows for simultaneous grilling and smoking
- 7 gauge steel body with 11 gauge steel lids
- Precision control "spinner" air vents
- Removable ash tray
- Built in grease drain
- Internal damper separates firebox (grilling chamber) from smoker box
- Small trailer (with lights) mounting takes up a small space
Guide Review - The Good One Trail Boss Smoker Model 60T
With many heavy steel smokers you get a great deal of smoke leakage around the doors and connections. This smoker fits together with incredible accuracy so the air flows through the vents and not through the doors. Add to that the precision of the vents and you can shut this smoker down, put out the fire, and save your remaining charcoal for your next cook.
This smoker is very big. With nearly 5,500 square inches of cooking space, this smoker can handle a 250 pound hog and still give you space for plenty more. In a competition, this smoker gives you all the space you need to produce several meats of each category while still giving you a large direct cooking (over live coals) to do any finish grilling you might like (or cook up lunch). Because of the airflow design you don't need to worry about turning meats and while you will have to keep an eye on this smoker periodically the product is consistent and dependable. The heavy construction holds in heat so this smoker won't be as affected by cold or wind like other smokers.
The well over $6,000 price tag makes this an expensive smoker, but the durable construction, excellent cooking abilities, and efficient design make it a perfect smoker for the person who is serious about barbecue. But more than just a great smoker, this unit is amazingly versatile. You can use the firebox area for direct grilling of the smoking chamber as a roasting or baking oven. This is one cooker that really can do it all.