The Bottom Line
- Solid, heavy steel construction
- Large capacity offset firebox
- May need a little modification to hold temperatures for extended periods of time
- 738 square inches of cooking space
- Porcelain coated cooking grates
- Warming plate
- Large wooden tray in front of smoker for use as a work table
- Large capacity cooking area and firebox
Guide Review - New Braunfels Black Diamond Smoker - Discontinued
The New Braunfel's Black Diamond Smoker, abbreviated NBBD, is a legend of the barbecue world. This unit has remained relatively unchanged for years and has been one of the most popular smokers on the market for the backyard barbecuer. A few years back Char-Broil acquired New Braunfel's Smokers, but they still make the same, high quality units.
This traditional style offset smoker has a large cooking chamber and offset fire box that will give you enough room to cook for even a large party. The heavy steel construction is highly durable and I know people who've had their units of a very long time. The airflow is very good, but you might need to modify the fire box a little to keep the fire burning for long periods of time. Typically a unit like this can run as much as 10 hours without being touched, but that depends on the weather.
The solid construction, front table and warming plate give this unit all the standard features and for well under $400. There is a deluxe version of this unit available with stainless steel parts, but this unit is certainly good enough.