The Bottom Line
- Excellent temperature control
- Heavy, solid construction
- Efficient fuel consumption
- Allows for simultaneous grilling and smoking
- Limited Distribution
- Cooking grates are a little clumsy
- 360 square inches of smoking area and 360 square inches of grilling space (more smoking area can be added)
- Separate grilling space allows for simultaneous grilling and smoking
- 11 gauge steel body with 14 gauge steel lids
- Precision control "spinner" air vents
- Removable ash tray
- Removable drip pan
- Internal damper separates firebox (grilling chamber) from smoker box
- Large inflatable wheels make the unit easy to move
Guide Review - The Good One Open Range Smoker Model 30-P - Discontinued
Chris Marks and his Three Little Pigs barbecue team are one of the top teams in competition barbecue (8 time grand champion of the American Royal BBQ Competition). The Good One Open Range smoker is the smallest version of the smoker Chris takes to competitions. What makes this smoker different than other big, black smokers is the precision of air flow control. The Good One uses rotating vents called spinners that can be turned open with a very fine level of control.
With many heavy steel smokers you get a great deal of smoke leakage around the doors and connections. This smoker fits together with incredible accuracy so the air flows through the vents and not through the doors. Add to that the precision of the vents and you can shut this smoker down, put out the fire, and save your remaining charcoal for your next cook.
This unit comes standard with a 360 square inch smoking grate and similar grilling grate. You can purchase an additional smoking grate or half grate to give you as much as 720 square inches of smoking space. That is more than enough to smoke 4 full size briskets.
The nearly $1,000 price tag makes this an expensive smoker, but the durable construction, excellent cooking abilities, and efficient design make it a perfect smoker for the person who is serious about barbecue. But more than just a great smoker, this unit is amazingly versatile. You can use the fire box area for direct grilling of the smoking chamber as a roasting or baking oven. This is one cooker that really can do it all.