The Bottom Line
- Large capacity smoker
- Lightweight burner
- Door leaks smoke
- Water pan is small and flimsy
- One adjustable 15,400 BTU stainless steel burner
- Four 333 square inch nickle plated steel cooking grates
- 1,333 total square inches of smoking space
- Full height locking door with center mounted thermometer
- Porcelain coated water pan
- Powder coated steel construction
- Made in China by Masterbuilt
Guide Review - Masterbuilt GS40 Black 40-Inch Propane Smoker
Many box smokers suffer from the same problem, the door. Built like a refrigerator, this smoker lets out a lot of heat and smoke every time the door is opened. Add this that the door is flimsy and doesn't fit tightly, what the Masterbuilt GS40 provides is inefficient smoking, which means more fuel and more wood for the smoke source.
If you search this smoker with the term modifications you will find a number of suggestions. This is the first clue that it wasn't built right in the first place. While thicker metals and a better door would do a lot to make this a better smoker it would also drive up the price and that would make it unpalatable for the mass market merchants that typically sell products like this.