The Bottom Line
- Heavy, solid construction
- Well built doors and dampers reduce smoke leakage
- Offset smokers are not the most efficient designs
- 660 square inches of total cooking area with 450 square in the cooking chamber
- Separate grilling space in the firebox allows for simultaneous grilling and smoking
- Classic vertical, offset smoker design
- Heavy gauge construction with durable high temperature enamel black paint
- Dual damper airflow design
- Two chrome cooking grates in the smoking chamber and one in the firebox
- Two 16-inch steel wheels
- Front mounted work table with side and bottom storage space
- Made in the USA by Horizon BBQ Smokers
Guide Review - Horizon BBQ Smoker 16-Inch Backyard Classic
The Horizon 16-Inch Classic, is just that, a classic style horizontal offset smoker that is going to run you around $800USD. The solid construction is heavy and durable. The engineering and craftsmanship means that the doors don't leak smoke like many offset smokers and the damper and stack design gives you good airflow and temperature control. These are all the things you would expect from a good quality smoker. This traditional charcoal smoker will have you building and tending fire and smoking the old fashioned way. The superior design of this unit will make that job easier than it would be on many of the less expensive (more mass market) offset smokers.
The Horizon 16-Inch Smoker is the perfect size for the backyard cook who wants to make barbecue for the family or small gatherings. This smoker won't feed and army, but it will take care of most people's needs. If you need more space I suggest you upgrade to the 20-Inch version.
If you are serious about barbecue and believe that this is the smoker for you I suggest that you order it with the built in Sliding Convection Plate. This accessory helps create a more even temperature in the smoking chamber. On the the main problems with offset smokers is that they run hotter on the firebox side than the smoke stack side. This means that if you are smoking a lot of meat you will have to more that meat around to get it cooked evenly. The Convection Plate helps reduce this problem.