The Bottom Line
- High quality construction
- Low tech gravity feed fuel system
- Built in meat probe
- 6 cubic foot space with 1640 square inches on five stainless steel racks
- Gravity charcoal feed with back fill and dual channel for separating charcoal from hard wood
- Complete 304 stainless steel construction with insulated firebox
- Dual top mounted adjustable stacks with adjustable rear bottom intake
- Door mounted digital temperature gauge with meat probe
- Removable ash catcher
- Made in the United States by RH Peterson
Guide Review - Fire Magic Charcoal Smoker Model 24S-SMB
So when I heard that Fire Magic would be making a food smoker, I had to wonder if it would be solar powered, with a tablet computer interface, and internal cameras so you could watch the food smoke from your television, or possibly smart phone. (If anyone decides to use these ideas they owe me money.) Fortunately, when I got the chance to look at the Fire Magic Charcoal Smoker I found a simple design and an attractive and elegant smoker.
What this all stainless steel smoker gives you is 6 cubic feet of space on five cooking racks with 1640 square inches. There is a digital temperature gauge on the front, but this is purely informational and will tell you the smoker temperature or the temperature of what's smoking inside via a meat probe. The vents in the bottom back and the two top stacks allow for manual, yet precise temperature control and the gravity feed system allows more charcoal (or wood) to be added without accessing the fire box, or even opening the smoker.
Just for your information, a gravity feed smoker has a rear chute (this one has two). Charcoal is loaded into the chute where it feeds into the fire box where it is lit. The charcoal in the chute is separated from the firebox so it doesn't catch fire, and the advantage is stated above.
This is a very expensive smoker (this version runs over $4,200USD and comes with a bottom storage drawer, which lifts the whole unit up to a more convenient height). However, it is a high quality smoker made entirely from 304 stainless steel to Fire Magic's exacting standards, so if you have the money, buy one of these.