The Bottom Line
- Inexpensive and simple smoker
- A good starter smoker
- Good sized capacity
- No vents or ability to adjust temperatures
- Limited construction quality
- Leaks smoke
- Two 15.5-inch chrome-plated steel cooking grates
- 375 square inches of total smoking area
- Top grate level hood mounted temperature gauge
- Painted steel construction with porcelain coated steel water pan
- Vinyl cover included
- Made in China by The Brinkmann Corporation
Guide Review - Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker & Grill
The Brinkmann Gourmet is widely available and is one of the most popular smokers on the market. The reason for this is because it is one of the least expensive smokers you can buy. This smoker is simple to use, but can be difficult to fight with. Since you can't adjust vents you simply have to let the smoker go and hope for a good temperature. Actually the best bet with this smoker is to just let it do its job. It's not a finely refined smoker, but it is a competent one.
One of the biggest problems with this smoker comes after it has been running for several hours, so while you might be able to avoid it with a chicken or even a rack of ribs, if you are smoking for more than 6 hours you are going to have an ash problem. The vents in this smoker are in the bottom of the fire pan. As the charcoal burns ash blocks these vents putting out the fire. The solution is to lift out the burning hot fire pan and sift the ash out of it. A dangerous and difficult solution. Or you could make a number of modifications.
If you want a cheap smoker, and I mean a cheap smoker, this is certainly one to consider.