Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 5 pound pork shoulder roast, bone-in
- 2 cups hickory or mesquite chips, pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For Rub:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- For sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
Place pork on grill and cook over indirect medium heat for 4 to 5 hours, or until internal temperatures reach between 180-190 degrees F. Make sure to turn roast every hour. Add wood chips to smoker box about halfway through cooking process. When roast in through cooking, take off grill, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes before shredding.
To prepare sauce: Combine sauce ingredients plus 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Shred pork with two forks or your fingers. Make sure to discard any fatty pieces or burnt bits. Place meat in a large bowl and add some of the sauce to moisten it. Serve warm with buns or enjoy it plain.