The Bottom Line
- Quick heat up time
- Solid construction
- Excellent temperature control
- Large capacity pellet hopper
- No pellet release door (for changing out pellets)
- Some parts seem like they were made in someone's garage
- 380 square inches of cooking space
- 170 to 500 degree F. temperature range
- 20-pound capacity pellet hopper mounted on the side
- Electronic temperature control system works
- Powder coated aluminized steel construction with some 304 stainless steel parts
- Made in the United States by MAK Grills
Guide Review - MAK Grill 1-Star
This sounds expensive for a grill, especially a black grill with 380 square inches of cooking space (an additional rack can be added, but is only useful for smoking). Pellet grills are more complicated than other kinds of grills. They have a motor, auger, hopper, and firepot. Don't worry if you don't know what all that means. MAK Grills was also insistent that their grill be made entirely in the United States. That means every part and many of those parts have to be made specifically for this grill.
The MAK 1-Star runs at temperatures between 170 to 500 degrees F. While the high end isn't exactly flaming hot, it is hot enough for decent grilling and at the low end, it is more than perfect for low and slow smoking. Since it is a pellet grill, this unit provides good smoke production and, since it is relatively small, it heats up quickly, reaching a good smoking temperature in minutes and good grilling temperatures in around 10 minutes. This version of the MAK grill uses the same fully programmable temperature control unit that is found on their more expensive grills and this one comes with one temperature probe.
The quality of construction is very high and support is very good. Whether you are new to pellet grills or not, this is an excellent choice in its price range. Of course the 2-Star has features that are very helpful, like a door for emptying the pellet hopper, and if you can afford he higher price I would suggest taking a look at that version.