The Bottom Line
- Independent infrared and standard gas grills
- Made from low quality materials including 430 stainless steel
- Many plastic parts
- Searing side is very small
- Dual head gas grill with one 36,000 BTU standard grill and one 11,000 BTU infrared grill
- Standard grill side has three 12,000 BTU standard burners
- Infrared side is one 11,000 BTU ceramic infrared burner for searing
- 540 primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 738 square inches
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Constructed almost entirely of low grade (430) stainless steel
- Electric (AA-Battery type) ignition
- Propane tank, rotisserie kit and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Sagittarius Sporting Good exclusively for Sears and K-Mart Stores.
Guide Review - Kenmore 4-Burner Split Lid Model# L3018S - Discontinued
This gas grill gives you a standard 3-burner grill and a dedicated infrared sear burner. This is a good configuration since you can separate your searing from your grill. This lets you do two things at the same time and reduces wear and tear on your ceramic infrared sear burner. This is important for this grill since these inexpensive infrared burners can crack under too much usage, particularly if a lot of grease or marinades are falling into the burner. Add to this a standard side burner and it would appear that you have a good grill with a great deal of versatility
Unfortunately to get this feature in a grill this size for a price around $400USD there were a lot of cutbacks in quality. This means low grade stainless steel construction with lots of plastic parts that can melt if the grill gets too hot or if wind blows on the grill from the back, heating the front part of the grill. There have been a number of cases of this happening with grills like this one.
If the searing section is large and powerful you can really make a great steak with a grill like this. Unfortunately the infrared burner isn't terribly powerful and the searing space is very small. What to grill up some great steaks for half a dozen people? You'll be doing it one steak at a time.
Basically this grill is a gimmick that isn't built to last. It is built to make you think its a good deal, but the appearance and function will fade quickly. I do not recommend this grill.