The Bottom Line
- 304 stainless steel burners
- Dual layer hood
- Lightweight construction
- Porcelain coating on hood is prone to cracking
- Painted steel body scratches evenly
- Large number of plastic parts
- Three 12,000 BTU 304 stainless steel burners
- 456 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 608 square inches
- 36,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 12,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Lightweight porcelain coated stamped steel cooking grates
- Single electronic igniter
- Painted steel body
- Porcelain coated dual layer hood
- Cover and propane tank sold separately
- Made by Dongguan Xin Cheng Hardware exclusively for Sears' Kenmore Brand
Guide Review - Kenmore Red 3-Burner 16301 Model #B070E4-R - Discontinued
The Kenmore Red (or Blue) is a basic 3-burner with a side burner. It is built into a steel body painted bright colors to make it stand out. In truth this grill is has nothing under the hood to make it stand out. While the burners are 304 stainless the light weight components and construction don't make this unit worth the well over $300 it sells for (regular price of course). What it basically means is that this grill cooks okay, but simply won't last.
The bright color is what stands out about this gas grill. It is however the "paint" that is one of the most noticeably problems about this grill. The hood needs thermal paint to put up with the heat from the grill. This porcelain paint is different from the paint used on the rest of the grill. Depending on the lighting you can really notice the difference. The porcelain coating on the hood can be easily cracked and flakes off. The paint on the rest of the body is easily scratched. Since the metal underneath is simple steel any whole, scratch or crack in the paint is going to let moisture in and start this grill rusting.
This grill is made by Dongguan Xin Cheng Hardware of China. They are a relatively new player on the gas grill market.