The Bottom Line
- High BTU output for the size
- Very large cooking surface
- Full feature grill for under $500USD
- Comes with a rotisserie burner, but no rotisserie kit
- Low grade stainless steel construction
- Lightweight, poor quality burners
- Five 13,250 BTU 430 stainless steel burners
- 576 square inches of primary grilling area for a total cooking area of 787 square inches
- 65,250 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 12,000 BTU ceramic infrared side burner under a raised cover (with panini press)
- 13,000 BTU rear mounted ceramic infrared rotisserie burner
- Stainless steel cooking grates
- Constructed of 430 stainless steel
- Propane tank, cover, and rotisserie kit sold separately
- Internal halogen lights
- Manufactured by Sagittarius Sporting Goods in China exclusively for Lowes' Master Forge Brand
Guide Review - Master Forge 5-Burner Gas Grill Model #L3218 - Discontinued
NOTICE: If you bought this grill between September and November of 2009 be advised that a recall has been issued. Contact your Lowes store for more information. For models shipped after the recall, the repair kit is included with the grill for you to install (or have installed if you use Lowes' assembly).
Yet again we have another big, powerful, stainless steel gas grill from a big box store. And yet again we have another collection of lightweight components and low grade stainless steel. This grill, like other like it, look great, is loaded with features, and is probably bigger than most people will ever need. Unfortunately this grill is not designed to last, produce even heating, or even be repairable.
This grill boasts 65,250 BTUs under 576 square inches of primary grilling space. This is a lot. It is a lot because the thin materials and open hood design (look at this grill from the back) means that the grill can't hold in heat well, so the designers overpowered the grill. It might sound like you are getting a great deal of heat, but what you are actually getting is an inefficient grill that will burn through the propane quickly sending you to buy more far too often. Better designed gas grills hold in heat and use heavy materials to give you the performance you want without wasting gas.