The Bottom Line
- Heavy cast iron cooking grates.
- Four burners
- Large cooking area (480 square inch primary)
- Some units have stainless steel parts
- Horribly cheap burners
- Single ignitor for four burners
- Cheap construction with a poorly designed cart
- Four 12,000 BTU low weight porcelain coated cast iron burners
- 480 square inches of primary cooking space for a total cooking area of 675 square inches
- 48,000 BTU total heat output from the main burners.
- Heavy porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Single electronic igniter
- Aluminum and steel body. Powder coated.
- Enameled steel burner shields
- 13,000 BTU side burner/griddle/oven unit for cooking a wide range of foods
- Low quality stainless steel hood cover and control panel
Guide Review - Char-Broil Performance Series 480 Gas Grill Model# 463464206
Char-Broil is one of the largest manufacturers of gas grills in the world. They bring in millions a year and I still don't know why. This grill is attractive to look at with it's stainless steel control panel and hood piece, it's very large with four 12,000 BTU burners and has good, solid cast iron cooking grates. Once you look inside though you'll notice that the burners are thin cast iron and though porcelain coated they won't last. The single igniter means you have to light the left burner before you can light anything else. A stream of burning gas runs down the back to light the other burners. Of course after a few uses this system gets clogged up and it can become virtually impossible to light the other burners without a fireplace match. Some units of this design have very poor quality stainless steel burners that are made from what looks like stainless steel foil.
The unit also comes with a 13,000 BTU side burner that can double as a griddle or baking oven. Char-Broil includes this side piece griddle in the cooking area dimensions so they say it has a total cooking area of 855 square inches. The primary cooking area is however 480 square inches.
Unfortunately, because Char-Broil is so recognized, because of the floor space this unit will get and because of its price (around $259USD), this grill will sell well. Sorry if you buy it. I know those burners will not last more than about 2 years. Next time you buy a grill I hope you'll have learned a lesson.