The Bottom Line
- Linear flow control values give you great control
- Heavy stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Good construction
- Large storage space
- Even heating
- Low power side burner
- Four 12,250 BTU dual tube stainless steel burners
- 500 square inches primary cooking area with a total of 695 square inches
- 48,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 10,000 BTU stainless steel side burner under a flush mounted cover
- 15,000 BTU rear mounted stainless steel (not infrared) rotisserie burner with full rotisserie kit
- Stainless steel and painted steel construction with cast aluminum end caps
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Battery powered electronic ignition
- Double layer hood with center mounted thermometer
- Cover and propane tank sold separately
Guide Review - Broil King Imperial 490
The two features that stand out on this grill is the dual tube stainless steel burners and the linear flow control valves. The dual tube burners equalize the gas pressure inside the burner so that the heat is even front to back. Standard tubular burners tend to have higher pressure in the front of the burner and can give you uneven heating. The Broil King burners correct this problem.
The control valves on this grill have an even, highly precise flow that give you a very high level of heat control. Add in the four burner design and this grill will let you pick an exact temperature from the very high to the very low.
This grill features a full rotisserie system that includes a standard (not infrared) rear mounted burner. This burner works as well as most any infrared rotisserie burner but has the durability of a high quality stainless steel burner. There is also a stainless steel side burner on the left side table under a flush mounted cover. This burner is a little low on the BTUs so it won't quickly heat up a large pot but it is powerful enough to heat a small skillet or saucepan.
This grill has great construction and should last for many years. Broil King is known for making superior grills and this one is a good value at around $1,400USD.