The Bottom Line
- Complete 304 stainless steel construction
- Highly efficient heating
- High, even heating
- Water will get inside the grill and drip pan if left uncovered
- Cart panels are thin and easily bent
- Runs hot when trying to grill at lower temperatures
- Three 8,000 BTU stainless steel tubular burners under stainless steel infrared emitters in separate and independent heat zones
- 500 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 675 square inches of grilling space
- 24,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 18,000 BTU dual burner side under a flush mounted cover
- Individual electronic (AA-Battery) ignition
- Stainless steel U-shaped folded sheet metal cooking grates
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Two internal halogen lights (grill must be plugged in for lights to work)
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Saber Grills and sold through specialty retailers
Guide Review - Saber SS 500 3-Burner
Like conventional gas grills, this Saber grill has three stainless steel tubular burners in the bottom. In this grill the burners are in separate boxes so that heat generated by each burner has a heat zone of its own. The burners focus their heat at a stainless steel sheet of perforated metal that sits directly under the U-shape cooking grates. The perforations in the infrared emitter are under the U's in the cooking grate. This means that virtually no drippings get through and no hot air reaches the food. Cooking is completely by contact with the hot grates and heat radiated by the metal emitter and grates.
For the griller, the important part really isn't how it works. The design is actually quite simple. What is important how simple this grill is to use. Since grease never reaches the burners this grill doesn't have flare-ups. The infrared heat is evenly distributed and the airflow through the cooking grates actually prevents foods from burning. As far as gas grills go, this might just be the least problematic grill ever made. It is practically foolproof and if you have grilled before you don't have to worry about learning to use this grill.
The Saber SS 500 is a standard sized 3-burner gas grill. While the frame is painted steel tubing and the cooking chamber is black porcelain coated steel, all remaining parts are 304 stainless steel. This model has a unique side burner. The dual burner side can pump out 18,000 BTUs making it very powerful. The reversible grate over the burners is flat on one side for regular pots and rounded on the other for a wok. Additionally, there are internal lights for grilling in the dark (grill must be plugged in for lights to work). The ignition is battery powered and there is an igniter on each burner.
As with any good grill, there are a few little issues I have with this one. The most notable is the rain. Of course you should cover your grill, but we all know that many people won't, or won't all the time. When rain falls on the hood of this grill it runs down the front and some of it pours inside, filling the full width drip pan. Since very little (and I mean very little) drippings will ever reach the drip pan it won't make the same kind of mess that happens when water gets inside other grills, but it is still an annoyance. Another issue is the thinness of the metal used to enclose the cabinet. Weak and easily bent, this requires a little care.
Saber grills are not a mass market product and are only available through specialty retailers. See the Saber Website to find a dealer near you.