The Bottom Line
- Powerful side burner
- Unique steamer attachment standard
- Fuel efficient design
- Low quality 430 stainless steel construction
- Low quality stainless steel burners
- Steamer is an unnecessary accessory
- Low BTU output for the size
- Four 8,500 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 580 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 780 square inches of grilling space
- 34,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Three porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Steamer unit that can be swapped for one of the cooking grates
- 430 stainless steel and porcelain coated steel construction
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Compatible with Char-Broil's "Dual Fuel" system (you buy the conversion kit ($50USD))
- Made in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Sears' Kenmore Brand
Guide Review - Kenmore 4-Burner with Steamer Model# 464224411 - Discontinued
The Kenmore 4-Burner with steamer is a basic 4-burner Char-Broil grill with standard side burner. This is actually built on a firebox very similar to Char-Broil's RED grills, but without the infrared emitters. The feature of this grill and the thing that seems to be driving up the price is a steamer unit that fits inside the grill once you have removed one of the porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates. This gives you the ability to grill burgers while steaming vegetables (I recommend grilling vegetables because they taste better that way). This is one of those extras that might seem useful but I would really recommend buying a free standing steam if you really want one. It will probably work better and it won't be taking up grilling space.
Apart from the steam, this is a pretty typically Char-Broil gas grill. That means low grade materials and a propensity for rust problems (which makes you wonder why you would want to be adding a steamer). There are many 4-burner gas grills on the market with similar quality at a better price because they don't have a gimmick like this one.
I suggest that you be careful with this grill. Steam can reach virtually any temperature and given a high enough temperature you could be filling this grill with very hot steam.