The Bottom Line
- Supported by Weber
- Durable and stable construction
- Lightweight grill
- Four 12,000 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 526 square inches of primary grilling space for a total cooking area of 693 square inches
- 48,000 BTU output from the main burners
- 12,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Porcelain enameled steel cooking grates
- Hood mounted thermometer
- Porcelain coated and painted steel construction
- Propane tank, rotisserie kit, and cover sold separately
- Made in China by the Weber-Stephen Products Co.
Guide Review - Ducane Affinity 4200
Before talking about this grill I should say a few things about the deal that made this grill possible. Many years ago Weber bought Ducane. They shipped the manufacturing to their factory in China with an idea of making some lower cost grills specifically for the specialty market, meaning no mass market stores could carry the Ducane grills. After languishing for several years, Weber has cut a deal with Lowe's Home Improvement Stores to carry the Ducane grills and Weber has introduced this model, the Ducane Affinity 4200, exclusively for Lowe's. Dealers can carry the other two, but you have to ask why.
Why? Specialty retailers carrying the Ducane Affinity 4100 (the same as this grill, but without the side burner) had a suggested retail price of $540USD. At that price they could make a profit. Lowe's is selling this grill, with the side burner feature, for $439USD. There is no reason for you to buy a Ducane Grill at a specialty retailer, since Lowe's has all of them and at a much lower price. So there is no reason for any specialty store to carry Ducane Grills anymore. I would expect that to dry up in the first half of this year (2012).
While this isn't good for the little shops out there, it is good for you. The Ducane grills are well built for the price and better than most of the comparable products out there. Yes, this is a basic looking grill without a lot of stainless steel and loads of features, but that is what makes it better. The fewer parts are better parts and while similarly priced grills might look nice, or offer you more extras, they won't last as long or grill as well.