The Bottom Line
- Inexpensive gas/charcoal combo
- Can be used as a smoker if you buy the optional side smoker box
- Lower quality gas grill components
- Lightweight construction
- One 438 square inch charcoal cooking chamber
- One 438 square inch 3-burner, 40,800 BTU maximum output gas cooking chamber
- 1260 square inches of total grilling space
- 12,000 BTU brass capped side burner under a flush mounted lid
- AA battery electronic igniters
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Barrel shaped thermal painted steel body and lid
- Hood mounted thermometers on each cooking chamber
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Char-Griller (A&J Mfg) and sold through several retailers
Guide Review - Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill Model #5050
The question you have to ask yourself is, do you really want two grills bolted together? If this works for you then this is a grill to consider at since it sells at some locations for around $300USD (try Lowes Home Improvement Stores) it won't put you out that much. Of course with more parts you have more to go wrong with it and since the gas grill side relies on some lightweight components you might end up with a working charcoal grill attached to a failed gas grill.
The gas grill side is a nearly 40,800 BTU 3-burner gas grill with medium weight porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates. While some of these components are not the best quality they are pretty good for the price. The BTU output is a little low for the size, but the barrel shape and thicker steel body holds in heat well enough to give you some good grilling power. The attached side burner is powerful enough to heat a good sized pot though the mounting is a little weak so you can't put a lot of weight on it. Other than this, it is a typical low cost gas grill.
On the charcoal side you get a typical barrel shaped charcoal grill. The cast iron cooking grates are good for heat transfer and the dual layer bottom holds in the heat and protects the painted finish. If you add on the optional offset firebox you can use this charcoal grill as a smoker. While relatively small this charcoal grill gives you enough room for many grilling tasks, but is limited in indirect grilling space.