To begin, set up the rotisserie kit on the grill. This is a pretty easy operation that requires 10 minutes and a screw driver. Of course, different grills and rotisserie kits have different arrangements, so read the instructions.
Next, comes the preparation of the chicken. Remove the contents from the inside and cut off any loose skin. To increase tenderness and moisture, I suggest that you brine the chicken but this step isn't mandatory. It is also helpful to truss the chicken to hold it together better on the rotisserie.
To follow this step by step you will need:
- A grill (charcoal or gas)
- The rotisserie kit for your specific model of grill
- Fuel for your grill to run for 2 to 3 hours
- A whole chicken
- One lemon (or apple, potato, onion or similar item)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- A hot pad or fireproof glove