The Bottom Line
- Classic barrel design works great as a grill and a smoker
- Very large cooking chamber gives you plenty of room for most anything
- Large firebox and smoke stack vents give you good temperature control
- Limited durability due to weak materials
- Thin metal body
- Very large cooking area
- Large access door lets you get to the food quickly and easily
- Good sized work area right in front
- Superior venting
Guide Review - Char-Broil American Gourmet Deluxe
This is one of those classic style units that works great as a smoker and a charcoal grill. The very large cooking area will let you grill up several chickens at a time. This is the kind of charcoal grill that will let you cook for a large crowd. In fact, I recommend this unit for large crowds, but not necessarily for smaller meals. Because of the size you'll need a good sized fire to get this grill up to temperature so if it's just the two of you get something else.
The great thing about this grill is that it not only gives you a classic charcoal grill, but gives you a good unit to learn the fine art of true barbecue. If you're interested in smoking this might be a good option for you to get started with. Certainly better than those trash can smokers you get for under $50.
The American Gourmet Deluxe was designed and built by New Braunfels Smokers, a legend in the smoker and barbecue world. So far Char-Broil has kept their noses out of the construction of these grills so they are a superior product to your typical Char-Broil.