The Bottom Line
- Built small for small spaces
- High, even heating
- Individual burner temperature gauges
- Low quality 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Low quality stainless steel burners
- "Infrared" cooking system can be problematic and require high maintenance
- Two 10,000 BTU 400 series stainless steel tubular burners under "infrared" diffusers
- 340 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 465 square inches of grilling space
- 20,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- Unique complete "infrared" design for high temperature cooking
- Designed with a small footprint for small spaces
- 430 stainless steel and painted steel construction
- Electric (AA-battery) igniter
- Individual temperature gauges for each burner mounted above burner knobs
- Manufactured in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowes Home Improvement Stores
Guide Review - Char-Broil Urban Infrared Gas Grill (Model #463246909)
This version of the Quantum Infrared Gas Grill from Char-Broil is specifically designed for small spaces. If you have a small patio or balcony where gas grills are permitted then this is one small grill to take a look at. Of course this $270USD gas grill is a simple unit with two burners and nothing else, but it does give you high temperature output for a small grill.
This two burner gas grill puts out a maximum of 20,000 BTUs under 340 square inches of primary grilling space. This seems low, but because of the efficiency of infrared this grill can still hit temperatures around 700 degrees F. In good working condition this grill can put out a high, even heat that is great for searing.
There are two primary problems with this grill. First, this model, like all Commercial Series Char-Broil grills is made from low grade (400 series) stainless steel. This limits the durability of the grill and will cause it to discolor and rust early. You can't count on this grill lasting.
The other problem with this grill is the "infrared" system. Basically what makes this grill and infrared grill is a thin sheet or perforated stainless steel (also 400 series). This sheet needs regular "gentle" cleaning according to Char-Broil to keep the holes in it clear. If this sheet gets too dirty the grill will not work properly. You need to be very careful in maintaining this grill to keep it working.