The Bottom Line
- Large, inexpensive grill
- Uneven Heat
- Stainless steel body parts will discolor and rust
- Lightweight materials
- Low quality materials, including burners
- Four 10,000 BTU stainless steel tubular burners
- 500 square inches of primary cooking area for a total of 680 square inches of grilling space
- 50,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 13,000 BTU standard side burner under a flush mounted cover
- Porcelain coated cast iron cooking grates
- Hood mounted thermometer
- 430 stainless steel and powder coated steel construction throughout the grill
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Made in China by Char-Broil exclusively for Lowe's Home Improvement
Guide Review - Char-Broil Commercial Series 4-Burner Model# 463241113
The body is made from a combination of painted steel and 430 series stainless. This is a low grade of stainless and is prone to rusting and discoloration quickly. The cooking grates are a moderate weight of porcelain coated cast iron, but the rest of the internal components are lightweight and low grade. This is particularly a problem with the burners. Like most all Char-Broil grills, the burners are the weakest link. While these burners have a "limited lifetime" warranty, that warranty doesn't cover rust.
Thin, low grade stainless steel, these burners will quickly suffer from rust and burn through limiting the lifespan of you grill. Each of these four burners sells for around $13USD, meaning you could pay $52USD to replace them all. That is 1/6 the total price of the grill. Chances are if you need to replace the burners, there are other parts that will also need replacement. Fortunately these burners have a lifetime limited warranty (everything else is 1 or 2 years). Fill out the warranty card, keep your paperwork, and remember that you should be able to get these burners replaced.
The painted body parts will retain their appearance longer than the low grade stainless steel. Of course once this powder coating gets scratched the metal underneath will rust.