This beer can chicken recipe uses a Creole rub on the chicken and crab boil in the beer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds)
- 1 12 ounce can beer (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid crab boil
- Creole Rub:
- 3-5 whole bay leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all rub ingredients (including Creole Seasoning in a small mixing bowl. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of rub for beer can mixture. Remove giblets and the neck from chicken. Sprinkle all over with rub, including cavity. Open can of beer and discard half of it. Add liquid crab boil and reserved Creole rub to beer. Preheat grill. Place bird on grill balanced by the beer can. Grill over indirect medium heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until internal temperature of thigh is 180 degrees. Remove chicken when finished cooking and let sit (with beer can still intact), for 10 minutes before carving.