In the central and southern regions of South Carolina, mustard is king. This golden barbecue sauce is the perfect compliment to smoked pork and its popularity is growing as more and more people turn away from those sticky sweet tomato sauces that line the shelves of grocery stores. This sauce combines the mild heat of mustard with the tanginess of vinegar to give you something incredible.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups/600 mL
- 1 1/2 cups/350 mL prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup/120 mL apple cider vinegar vinegar
- 1/2 cup/120 mL brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL cayenne
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL white pepper
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to blend the flavors.