1. Food

Derrick Riches

What is your favorite steak?

By April 16, 2014

There are few things I love more than a good steak. I eat more than my share of them and almost always order a steak in restaurants. Now I am rather particular about my steaks and certainly have my favorites. This means that I have to force myself once in a while to try some different cuts, but I can suffer through. Anyway, this week's question is about steaks. From Filet Mignon to Hanger steaks, which is your favorite steak?

POLL: What is your favorite steak?
1) Filet Mignon
2) Flank Steak
3) Hanger Steak
4) New York Strip
5) Porterhouse
6) Rib Eye
7) T bone
8) Tenderloin
9) Tri-Tip Steak
10) Something Else (please specify in the comments)

Photo 2011 Regarding BBQ Inc., Licensed to About.com

Comments

April 3, 2008 at 3:55 pm
(1) Ron says:

Last night I had a New York Strip but I don’t think anything beats the marbled texture of a good Rib Eye. You almost can’t screw a Rib Eye because the marbled fat will make it nice and tender almost every time. I will say though that last year I had the best steak I’ve ever had at a very high dollar steakhouse in Houston and it was a Filet Mignon that was about 3 inches thick… it was fork tender and the flavor was out of this world.

April 4, 2008 at 12:59 pm
(2) Jim Damiani says:

Unknown to many is the chuck eye steak.The butcher told me it is the continuation of the ribeye and cut from the chuck.Fantastic flavor and tenderness.Bought a bunch on sale for $1.99lb…jim

April 8, 2008 at 12:06 am
(3) Bone-on rib stead says:

Our staple at Grillworks is the bone-on rib steak thick enough to stand on the bone (at least 1 3/4″ thick, best 2″). We believe cooking it this way flavors more of the meat with that wonderful bone. Salt it, sear it on both sides then cook most of your time standing it up. Drop down for the finat 5 minutes and serve. Oh yes! Baste!

April 9, 2008 at 8:04 pm
(4) denny says:

It seems that everyone has missed the Sirloin steak. If you haven’t had a grilled Sirloin you are missing one of the best cuts of beef. Sirloin almost has a flavor of it’s own and so tender when slow cooked on the grill.

April 29, 2011 at 11:37 am
(5) Jason says:

Denny, I couldn’t agree more. Odd that it wasn’t one of the choices.

April 21, 2010 at 7:50 am
(6) Mike says:

Ribeye, nothing else need to be said.

April 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(7) Sean says:

Strip Steak, with a nice marinade, cooked properly, they go down like butter

April 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(8) Jose says:

I enjoy ribeye, porterhouse, t-bone, etc. but
if I had my druthers it would be skirt streak.
I scarf it up at the stooper market whenever they
decide to put it out in the meat case.
Which… to my regret….isn’t a regular thing.

Regards,

Jose

April 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm
(9) Sandi says:

Nobody has said anything about a Kobe steak.I really want to buy two or three of them and am having a hard time finding them anywhere.Help me somebody if you can!!!! Thanks =-)

April 28, 2010 at 8:00 pm
(10) KDog650 says:

I’m with Jose on this one. Skirt steak is my favorite. Don’t get me wrong, I love my ribeyes too, but skirt steak has that good beefy flavor that I look for. Also, Jim Damiani is right, the chuck eye steak is under appreciated and inexpensive when you can find it. My BIL turned me onto chuck eyes. Thanks Craig!!!

April 29, 2010 at 4:19 am
(11) Hujonwi says:

I love ribeye but just had a chance to grill some ribeye cap…it’s hard to find but wow.

April 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(12) ken miller says:

While I love the taste of beef on the BBQ, especially the well marbled cuts I have become a fan of the Thick cut pork shoulder steak. Bit of bone, tender, full of flavour, takes seasoning well and is very inexpensive compared to the filet.
Although, once I had my butcher hang a whole short loin in his cooler for 38 days. The meat lost some moisture, intensifying the beef flavour and it began to break down the muscle fiber making it fork tender. Cut inch and a half thick and grilled “Steak Florentine Style.” That was so good we invited people over just to watch us eat it!!!

Just a hint for all you grillers out there; Talk to your butcher; tell them what you want to do, they can be very helpful.

ken

February 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm
(13) Eric in Dallas says:

No reason for a strip steak to be ranked higher than a porterhouse. One side of a porterhouse IS A NEW YORK STRIP, plus you get the tenderloin side. Also, a T-bone is just a porterhouse steak that has about 50% less meat on the tender half. Go porterhouse! Eat a real steak.

April 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(14) Kath says:

I don’t think you can beat a rib eye, it would make a vegetarian eat meat again, if only they would try it!!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2013 at 12:27 am
(15) j english says:

Prime Rib Roast has to be up there, when done right its SO meaty and buttery. A little au jus and horse radish you will be in BEEF heaven.

April 29, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(16) Derrick says:

My favorite is the Coulotte Steak cut from the top sirloin cap. It is always tender and has immense flavor. I learned about this cut while living in Brazil over a decade ago and haven’t discovered a better cut yet!

April 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm
(17) Shadows says:

Flank, new york strip, and tri-tip are the 3 kings of steak in my opinion!

April 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm