1. Food

Derrick Riches

What Barbecue Tool Do You Use the Most?

By March 19, 2014

Whether grilling or smoking you need good cooking tools to cook. The accessory market for outdoor cooking is huge and it seems that a month doesn't go by that someone doesn't write me with some invention they have that will revolutionize the backyard cook (and make a fortune). So this weeks question is about tools, specifically:

POLL: What Barbecue Tool do You Use the Most?
1) Tongs
2) Fork
3) Spatula
4) Something Else (please specify in the comments)

Comments

April 11, 2007 at 12:01 pm
(1) Al says:

What brushs do you recomend for cleaning grills? Seems like everything I use last about 10 cleanings.

April 11, 2007 at 12:10 pm
(2) B Shepherd says:

The most important accessory I use, grilling or smoking, is a remote probe programable thermometer.

April 11, 2007 at 9:46 pm
(3) Mobydiq says:

First is my rotisserie, then my remote thermometer.

March 12, 2008 at 11:31 am
(4) Charlie B says:

My favorite is my Pigs Tail.

March 12, 2008 at 6:30 pm
(5) Rob P says:

Although I use tongs, spatula and a basting brush/mop alot, the one tool I use everytime no matter what I’m grilling is my grill brush….gotta clean-up from the last grill session before I cook again!

March 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(6) Debbie Bello says:

I would have to say my thermometer is one of the tools I use the most. A close second would be my grill brushes.

March 31, 2010 at 3:23 pm
(7) Mike says:

Pigtails, one short and one long. Would use a spatula if I could find one thin enough to pick things up rather than just push them around. I have one that’s just about right, paid $0.89 for it in a Yellow Front in AZ. about 1973, but it’s finally giving up.

March 31, 2010 at 4:16 pm
(8) Ross Frazier says:

Something not mentioned: A thermometer. I don’t care how many tools you have, nothing replaces a good thermometer.

April 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm
(9) Jon B says:

The most & absolute thing that no back yard warrior should’nt be without when grilling is some kind of spray bottle meaning u could put whatever u want in the bottle to keep your meats’ moist. Personally i like to use a variety of fruit juices these seem to work well for me.

April 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(10) ken miller says:

The grill brush!!! I have the one from the grill wizard and the handle is 5-6 years old. I replace the Stainless Steel brushes about every 5 months. It.s the cheapest best brush on the market. The next would be a good set of tongs.

March 30, 2011 at 12:11 pm
(11) David says:

Another tool that since I discovered, I can’t live without it is the fire start chimney

March 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm
(12) John R says:

I will have to say it’s my ThermaPen Instant Read thermometer. Followed closely by the Maverick ET-732.
I really depends on what I am doing on the smoker.

March 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(13) PJ says:

I use a meat thermometer alot when grilling. I NEVER use a fork, always tongs and in some cases a spatula but NEVER a fork.

March 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(14) Rusty Herring says:

Yes, like everyone else the tongs are my primary cooking tool. But the best new tool I’ve found since the invention of charcoal brickets and Derrick Riches advice and recipes is the wireless meat thermometer. I use it with my smoker and get perfect results every time. If you don’t already have one, you owe it to yourself to get one.

March 30, 2011 at 11:26 pm
(15) John says:

The best tool I’ve found and use all the time is the Fork it Over from Backyard Warriors. I’ve chucked my pigtail tool and found this works better and in most cases it even replaced my tongs. This tool Rocks!!!

March 30, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(16) Guy says:

Pig Tail hooks, and my Nu Temp remote thermometer

March 31, 2011 at 4:12 am
(17) Alan says:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Pig Tail?

March 31, 2011 at 8:05 am
(18) Frank says:

Wire brush or grill cleaning block. each time you use your grill you must clean it. the utensil(s) you use to cook your food changes w/ whatever it is you’re doing. i could use a new one.

March 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(19) Jim H says:

Tongs, brushes/scrapers, thermometers (especially remote) are all essential. But for real smoking over hours, I’m addicted to a gadget called the BBQ Guru (www.thebbqguru.com). It’s a computerized control unit that has two probes – one measures temperature inside the cooker, the other inside the meat. Then it controls temperature by regulating a fan in the firebox which controls the fire and temperature. When the meat reaches the set meat temperature, it actually reduces the fire to avoid overcooking.

Great for those 20+ hour cooks (large whole brisket for example) – I can actually fit a couple hours sleep in here and there…

March 31, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(20) JimmyBoy in Fl says:

Next to tongs is restaurant style cookie sheet, large size that just fits into a 30 inch range oven and a Weber thermometer!

March 29, 2012 at 1:01 am
(21) Tony says:

After my tongs, nice long ones, the most used is my wire grill brush with the bristle to the edge and a spray bottle with water. I heat the grill and spray the grates and the brush to clean. I get a nice steam clean. The spray with water is also good for flare ups when grilling.

March 20, 2013 at 8:32 am
(22) Chris says:

A long set of tongs. I couldn’t ever find them in a store … only the shorter, 12″ ones, but ordered some online. No more singed arm hair!

March 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm