1. Food

Derrick Riches

Best Sauce for Pulled Pork

By March 5, 2014

The debate has raged for years. Me, I like lots of different sauces. I like to try it all. Of course there are people out there for whom only one sauce is right. So, let us hear it, "What is your Favorite Sauce for Pork?"

POLL: What Kind of Sauce is Best for BBQ Pork?
1) Vinegar
2) Vinegar and Tomato
3) Tomato
4) Mustard
5) Vinegar, Tomato and Mustard
6) No Sauce at all
7) Something Else (please specify in the comments)

Photo 2009 Regarding BBQ Inc., licensed to About.com, Inc.

Comments

March 27, 2007 at 4:25 pm
(1) Michelle says:

I voted for vinegar and tomato. But I like it no matter what – with or without. Yummay!

March 11, 2009 at 8:38 am
(2) Sweet G says:
March 10, 2010 at 6:08 am
(3) phil perrin says:

I like a regular tomato sauce. On the side! The taste of the pork is usually good enough.

March 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm
(4) Chance says:

cole slaw (as a condiment)

March 10, 2010 at 9:21 pm
(5) Debbie Bello says:

I would say the vinegar, tomato and a little mustard with a hint of cinnamon and brown sugar.

March 17, 2010 at 11:40 am
(6) Eddmo says:

I like a thinned, slightly tropical fruit sweet and pepper spicy sauce incorporated into but not atop with a smattering of thinly sliced fresh red onion for some crunch…

March 17, 2010 at 11:53 am
(7) Tizi says:

Mustard and fresh ground horseradish or horseradish sauce.

March 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm
(8) Cheyenne says:

I use a mixture of Sweet Baby Ray’s, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, and a dash or so of six other ingredients, which I will reveal only to the prettiest lady on the site (don’t worry, I’m 71). Never fail to get compliments on the sauce.

March 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm
(9) Rick E. says:

I love BBQ of all types but my absolute favorite is a simi thin hot and spicy sauce. Does anyone out there have any suggestions of a base and various ingredients I might try at home to spice things up a bit???

March 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm
(10) mopster says:

I highly recommend Scott’s BBQ sauce from Goldsboro, NC. Vinegar and spice……mmmmmmm, so nice! I’ve been using it for over 15 years and have never found one I like better!

March 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm
(11) Cheyenne says:

For Rick:

OK Rick, I got an idea you’re not a beautiful lady, but try this recipe. You can make it as thin and has spicy as you wish by just manipulating the ingredients. I made up the recipe and had to experiment with it several times, giving it the taste test.

Start with Sweet Baby Ray’s original barbecue sauce. Add to that about a quarter to a half as much ketchup. Add Apple Cider Vinegar (depending on the amount of the first two ingredients, about as much as ketchup as you used. Add a few dashes of French’s yellow mustard. Add a few dashes of Texas Pete. Add a few dashes of Soy Sauce. Add some ground black pepper peppercorns (available in a small bottle grinder at the grocery store). Add a few dashes of Garlic Powder (not garlic salt). (If you like add a couple drops of Tabasco, but try it first without it). Cut it to the thinness you want with cold water. Stir it well. Put it in a sauce pan and heat it to an almost boiling point. Taste it. If you want it hotter and spicer, add some more Texas Pete, mustard and/or ground black peppercorns. Keep experimenting until you get the taste you want. If you want it more vinegary, put it in. Pretty soon you’ll find what you are looking for from those ingredients. I make enough to pour a small amount over the pulled pork, then place a container on the table for folks who want more.

March 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm
(12) Mark-O says:

Lots of good sauces, but I like a smoky barbecue sauce with my pulled pork. Don’t know why, but for me, it seems that pork and barbecue are a natural pairing!

March 18, 2010 at 12:25 am
(13) Gratefoole Dave says:

I like to try all different kinds of sauces, although I am rather more fond of the smoky ones. I grew up in an area where they thought ‘BBQ’ was meat already swimming in sauce (sometimes even hamburger!). I’m proud to say we do have some REAL barbecue joints up here in Indiana now. (Even here in Brazil, IN!)

March 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm
(14) Tony says:

Spicy tomatillo sauce

March 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm
(15) MOESLY says:

THIS IS FOR RICK E. TRY FAMOUS DAVES DEVILS SPIT, IT GOT ALL THE SWEET AND THE HEAT YOU WILL EVER WANT IN A SAUCE!!

March 13, 2013 at 11:58 am
(16) jdavids says:

Any bourbon-based sauce.

March 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(17) COL. DAVE says:

Why don;t U start from scratch and make your own. When U do U will see that the store bought are full of fillers. they can’t make them for what they sell them for. there are 3 co’s that have to make money. There are more recipes on the net than U can shake a stick at.
“COLONEL” DAVE

March 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm
(18) BBQ Bob says:

I don’t think you can declare a “best sauce” to go with anything – it’s a matter of taste. <a href=”http://www.barbecue-grill-maestro.com/north-carolina-bbq-sauce.html”>Personally I like a sharp vinegar sauce that make your eyes water</a>, but that depends what mood I’m in. You can’t go wrong with pulled pork either way.