1. Food

Derrick Riches

Zip-Top Brining Bags

By November 12, 2013

One of the tricks of brining is finding a container to brine it. This is pretty simple for smaller items like pork chops or chicken breasts, but when it comes to large foods like whole turkeys it can be a challenge. This is especially a problem since you need a none reactive material like glass or plastic so that the turkey doesn't pick up a metallic flavor. Now when I brine pork chops I put them in a one gallon "zip-top" bag. Of course no self respecting holiday turkey is going to fit into a one gallon bag. Fortunately both Reynolds and Ziploc make much larger bags. In the case of Renyold's it is their Oven Roasting Bag for Turkeys and with Ziploc it is their XL storage bag. Both of these are widely available these days, made of food grade plastic and perfect for brining big foods. So when you need to brine a 15 pound turkey look for one of these products to make the job a little easier.

Comments

November 5, 2008 at 10:37 am
(1) Rob says:

I like the Ziploc bags. They are far cheaper than the Williams Sonoma bags I used in the past. I called the help line for Ziploc two years ago to confirm the use of food grade plastic. Perfect for soaking the bird. Available year round and in plenty of retail locations.

November 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm
(2) Cookie says:

Thank goodness Zip Lock has brining bags. I am on a budget.

November 9, 2010 at 9:12 am
(3) Butch says:

I didn’t know they made bags that large. I will put that on my grocery list. Now the question is, what brine to use this year????

November 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm
(4) Derrick Riches says:

Butch,
You can find some brine recipes at: Top 10 Turkey Brine Recipes

November 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(5) Brett says:

I used the oven bag for brining last year and it worked great. I’m going to use the Ziploc if the store has it for this season’s bird.

November 17, 2011 at 1:48 am
(6) Phil says:

I use a food grade 5 gallon bucket and reserve it for nothing else.