1. Food

Derrick Riches

How long do you expect your Gas Grill last?

By September 25, 2013

I was over at a friends shop the other day looking around the back room. He runs a fireplace and grill shop and was working on restoring an ancient Charmglow gas grill. This shiny silver unit is several decades old and needs a bit of a clean up before it will grill up any steaks. These days it seems like people are constantly writing me for recommendations on a new gas grill to replace the one they bought a year or two ago. Of course most gas grills being sold these days are built to look good, but not to last. This would imply that there are a lot of disappointed people out there, frustrated by their gas grills. Either that or expectations are very low. Anyway, this leads me to this weeks question:

POLL: How long do you expect your gas grill last?
1) Too Soon to Tell
2) 1 to 2 years
3) 3 to 4 years
4) 5 to 7 years
5) 8 to 10 years
6) More than 10 years
7) Forever

Related Articles:

Comments

October 1, 2008 at 10:24 am
(1) Bill Cayton says:

I have a Charbroil Commercial Series that I bought from Lowes in 2004. Has the brass burners (3) which I replaced, and the burner bar. It is a stainless steel hood, then stainless front doors. The rest is heavy duty painted steel. Keep the cover on half the time, but there is virtually no rust anywhere. This one should last 10 years..

September 24, 2009 at 10:26 am
(2) Phoenix Woman says:

By the way: If you must move your BBQing indoors because of winter or other exigencies (or don’t have any space on which to BBQ outside in any event), you can use a slow cooker. Just be sure to elevate the meat above the level of the liquid — you want the aromatic steam, but you don’t want the flavor-removing effects that actually soaking in liquid creates; otherwise, you’ll have soup, not flavorful slow-cooked pork.

If you have a frying basket that’s relatively shallow compared to the depth of the cooker you’ll be using, that’s ideal for this purpose. If not, any small metal wire rack should do so long as it’s food-safe and heat-safe. Do a dry rub the night before, then put the remnants of the rub in the liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker, along with any soaked maple, apple, or hickory chips, or whatever other goodies you might have, up to a depth of about 1 1/2 to 2 inches depending on the cooker. Insert the rack or basket, taking care that it’s above the top of the liquid and not touching it, and load up with meat. Put on Low for at least eight hours, then serve. If you have access to flame-producing devices (portable butane grills, gas stoves, etc., you can try to put some pretty grill marks on the cooked meat, or you can serve straight from the slow cooker.

September 30, 2009 at 2:57 pm
(3) Paul corsa says:

Our Holland Herritage Grill lasted 13 years on our deck in Michigan, then I bought a new “bottom end” from Holland for $199 and repainted the rest and we’re good to go again.

September 26, 2010 at 7:39 am
(4) Phil Perrin says:

After buying a “clearance” grill from a big box store,it needed major maintenance after only a couple of years,I decided to buy a Weber. I’ve known people to never clean or cover them and they last for years! I got mine last year,clean it regularly and covered most of the time. Works like a charm!

September 28, 2012 at 6:23 am
(5) John says:

Three words: Big. Green. Egg. No burners to replace, no metal exterior to rust, lifetime guarantee on the ceramic parts. I expect my grill to last forever.

June 4, 2013 at 11:11 am
(6) Nancy says:

I have a Charbroil Commercial Series that we bought from Lowes that we installed in 2006. We replaced the burners and other parts in 2010. It is now June 2013 and we need to once again replace four parts; the brass burners are one of the four items. The brass burners are no longer available, we would need to replace them with cast iron ones and one other key part is no longer available. Had we chosen to go through with repairing our grill – trying to use another part for the one that is not available, we would have sunk $255.92 into it and that’s without the cost of the burners as they were under warranty. We are frequent grillers year round, live in Pittsburgh but keep our grill covered when it is not in use. I am very disappointed that our grill did not last more than six years!

September 27, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(7) DaveB says:

I find that it is always a good idea to keep some upkeep. We use our grills year end and year out. Especially around the warmer seasons. Parts can be pretty pricey let alone having to track certain ones down. I suggest having someone come out, and give it a really good cleaning every 3-5 months, depending on usage. That way all the dirt and grim doesn’t clog all the parts. And to top it off its a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire thing. If any parts are worn, the company usually has them on hand.

September 28, 2013 at 4:21 am
(8) John McGrann says:

To the people reding this and commenting who expect a grill to last a long time and who are realistic about the fact that this may require some replacement parts from time to time,I’d like to suggest that when you buy your grill I’m the first place, don’t shop at Lowes/Home Depot/Costco. A local company with a close relationship to the brands they carry will probably sell you a better grill in the first place, and will have easier, faster and more affordable access to replacement parts when necessary. You’ll probably be surprised at how competitive their prices can be (and you probably won’t have to assemble your new grill either).

October 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(9) B.A. BOLL says:

Just replaced my DuCane grill after 13 yrs, no it is not junk , just forwarded it to my daughter. Replaced the lower grate units and it’s like new.
replaced it with a Weber Genesis that was won at the local landscape house.

Both units are great

October 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(10) P3Racer says:

I have a few grills. My oldest is a Front Avenue Gas Grill by Charbroil from Costco. It is over 10 years old and still works and looks good. I have had to replace the grids and burners a few times. Also have a Holland Tradition grill that looks new after 10 years. Never replaced anything on it but it is more like an outdoor oven than grill. Big but doesn’t get hot enough. i just got a Vision Grills Kamado cooker like e Big Green Egg at Costco for less than half the cost of the BGE. It is GREAT. Makes all the other grills obsolete.Very impressed with the quality and complete package. No more gas tank refills for me only the quest for the perfect bag of lump charcoal usually from Publix..