1. Food

Derrick Riches

How is your Gas Grill Working?

By July 17, 2013

Not a day goes by that someone doesn't write to me telling me about how their grill isn't working correctly. Some grills see to have more problems than others (read all of these comments and some people seem to have more difficulty than others. Now, basically I believe that most people are perfectly happy with the grill they have, but after all the stories of people afraid to light their grills I have to wonder just how many unsatisfied customers there are out there. So let us know:

POLL: How is your Gas Grill Working?
1) Perfectly
2) Pretty Well
3) Okay
4) Could be Better
5) Horribly
6) I'm afraid to light it up

Hit the comment link below and tell us all about your grill.

Comments

July 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm
(1) Eric says:

This year I refurbished my Weber Genesis that I’ve used for years. It was given to me by my brother 10 years ago and he had it for years before that. It cost about $275 for the refurb, but with the cost of a good gas grill is in the $500 and up range, so it was well worth it.
And I no longer require a wrench to change the tank, and the grill is as good as new.

Weber make a great product.

July 17, 2008 at 5:56 pm
(2) Lee says:

I also have a Weber Genesis, about 18 years old. Only real repair was an igniter this year. I have had to replace the grill grate, flavor bars and the side table parts but that is maintenance.

It refuses to die but I’m going to get a new Summit anyway. My last grill, a Weber kettle wouldn’t die either and I had that for about 10 years.

July 18, 2008 at 4:12 pm
(3) Jim says:

I have a 6 year old three burner Charbroil Commercial Series stainless steel (403) natural gas grill. While I love the natural gas convienience, the grill itself didn’t last long. The first four years the grill worked great. After that the three cast brass burners started to crack along the line of the side gas holes. I keep the grill covered so it looks pretty good despite the lower quality stainless steel. I paid around $300.00 for it. I am looking at upgrading to either a Weber Genesis or Summit.

July 22, 2008 at 6:08 pm
(4) Diana says:

I have a Brinkman Pro Series grill that’s 2 years old and it’s a piece of garbage. There are 3 burners and usually only the middle one lights up. The right one only occasionally and the left hardly ever. If it’s a windy day, watch out. The burners blow out every 2 seconds. I won’t buy Brinkman again.

July 23, 2008 at 12:20 pm
(5) Ken says:

We bought a CharBroil 4 burner about 5 years ago still works great. We had to replace 2 of the solid cast brass burners after a year(life time warranty) had to pay $9.00 shipping– not a bad deal. When cooking with indirect heat source(outside burners on/inside off) the burners seem to clog with drippings–I can live with that.
e are currently looking for a larger model–am considering another CharBroil

July 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm
(6) RHTurner says:

I have a Vermont Castings Premium gas grill and love it. It has worked like a charm and I receive comments all the time about how good the grilled food is. I would buy it again…no question.

July 24, 2008 at 3:54 am
(7) Ray says:

Have a Weber Silver A model works just great keep it clean and wash the grates in the dishwasher and make sure you change the drippan often otherwise no problems with the old Weber love it!!!!

July 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm
(8) Suzanne says:

I hate the grill I purchased without the lava rocks. The heat is so uneven, I spoke with someone at work and she put a wire mesh on top her burners and added the rocks on top. She said it is better, but not he same.

July 25, 2008 at 3:23 am
(9) Ken Koo says:

In Dec/07 I bought a Napoleon Prestige 2 Series PT450RB. Todate I’m quite happy with it’s performance. It has never failed to light, even under breezy conditions. I have used it in winter as well with the temperature down to about 30*F i.e freezing weather. Food just took a bit longer to cook. We are very pleased with the rear 18,000 BTU infrared rotisserie, which does a really (healthy) and superb job consistanly. The front of the grill does not heat up as much as the very back, but I think that could be a function of the way the burners are designed. Overall, the results are more than satisfactory. I would definitly recommend this grill, which BTW is made in Canada!!EH..

March 21, 2009 at 7:21 pm
(10) EdL says:

I also own a Brinkman 6 burner grill, and it sucks on a windy day, which is almost every day in Nebraska. I’ll spend more money next time and buy a Weber.

July 26, 2009 at 6:28 am
(11) Ben Johnson says:

I have only ever had a problem with my Ducane Gas Grill, around a year ago I swapped it for the Weber Summit and since then I have not had one single problem. I review I wish I had read more around the Ducane model before buying it but hey you live and learn.

August 2, 2009 at 12:38 am
(12) Andrew Olsen says:

I bought a Charbroil last year….It’s worthless. I had to keep on rotating the burgers because the heat is not even anywhere. And don’t get me started if a slight breeze picks up. I aquired a used Weber grill made 8 years ago. Has only two burners but it is twice the grill. Taking the the other POS back to costco. Will consider a 3 burner later and will stick with Weber. Why on earth would I choose a different brand? Also, I made it much better by tossing the flavor bars. I had a friend fabricate a grate and put ceramic briquettes on top. It works much much better than the flavor bars. But it also takes a little longer to heat up and cool down. But all in all, a better made product. So, Weber…I will never cheat on you again!!!!

July 14, 2010 at 6:15 am
(13) Phil Perrin says:

I had a Charm Glow that we bought on clearance from Home Depot three years ago. Last year it was needing some major maintenance,so I gave it to our god-son’s dad and bought a Weber Genesis. Could not be happier. I’m a Weber man for life!

November 23, 2010 at 10:15 am
(14) Jim says:

If anyone is looking for this wire mesh material as previously mentioned here, I just bought some here

For my grill, and they have a very good quality product as well as having the lowest price, Good Luck with it.

July 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(15) 3forfred says:

I’ve had a Brinkmann 5 burner for over a year now that I bought at Home Depot. Converted it to NG after having for about a month and I love this grill. I even recommended it to a friend and he’s loved it since he first used it.

While the back does get hotter than the front, my only real complaint is the “flavorizer” bars. I’m not 100% convinced they do the job they’re touted as doing. I will probably add a tray of ceramic or lava rock to help with the flavor and the heat.

There is an issue with keeping the sear burner lighted when it’s windy. However, since this is more of a marketing gimmick than a real feature as it’s too small to do anything more than 2 medium sized steaks at a time so I don’t really consider that a problem.

Reasonably priced, easy to assemble (less than 20 min) and great customer service makes me want to consider Brinkmann for future grill purchases.