1. Food

Derrick Riches

What's your Biggest Grilling Problem?

By June 12, 2013

Raw chicken, burnt burgers or raging flare-ups, we have all had problems with some grilling project from time to time. It just can't be avoided sometimes, but it can be minimized. Too many bad cookouts lead to unused cooking equipment. After all, sometimes enough is enough. What I want to do is help you have a good experience with your outdoor cooking. So this week's question is:

POLL: What's your Biggest Grilling Problem?
1) Flare-Ups
2) Burnt Foods
3) Undercooked Foods
4) Equipment Problems
5) Unfamiliarity with Different Grilling Methods
6) Sticking Food
7) Something Else (please leave a comment)

Comments

May 21, 2008 at 11:53 am
(1) donna says:

Ahem…burgers that fall apart.

There. I feel SOOOO much better now. LOL The ultimate grill food, and I couldn’t grill a burger if my life depended on it. I can grill just about anything else, but not those.

June 13, 2011 at 8:30 am
(2) SC says:

Put a small amount of egg in the burgers. Should help keep them together. Failing that and if they are too moist add small measure of flour. Finally and if the other two dont work, oven cook them and finish them on the BBQ.

May 21, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(3) Nils says:

Over cooked food trying to avoid having under cooked food had been an issue in the past. I now have a good instant read thermometer to help with that.

The other issue is timing. Getting everything to finish at the same time when each part of the meal requires a different time and temperature.

May 21, 2008 at 2:20 pm
(4) Bill says:

wind

May 22, 2008 at 6:05 pm
(5) SEAJAMS says:

Just not enough time to grill for every meal.

May 26, 2008 at 8:14 pm
(6) IM says:

I looove BBQ chicken but it seems that its never cooked to my satisfaction. Am I being picky about seeing a little pinkness or is it really undercooked?

June 10, 2009 at 10:35 am
(7) Ev says:

I tend to over cook pork and bone in chicken I am never sure if it is done or not.

June 13, 2009 at 9:47 am
(8) Chilebrown says:

Having to return to the Salt Mines the following day to pay for all my grilling activities.

June 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm
(9) SEAJAMS says:

I still say, not enough time to grill every meal!

June 18, 2009 at 12:23 pm
(10) Paul says:

The best way to master grilling is to remember to cook low (temp) and slow…. If you see flames its time to turn it down…

June 9, 2010 at 7:14 am
(11) Philip says:

Have to agree with Nils. Wife puts the screws to me if it’s not done. Also doesn’t like seasonings or smoke on meat, but that’s another story.

June 9, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(12) David says:

The dog begging me for scrapes, while I am grilling..
and the rising cost of baby back ribs :-( Paid $15.00
for a rack last weekend)

June 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm
(13) Scott says:

My biggest problem is my old faithful weber grill is worn out. i need a new Weber one touch.

June 10, 2010 at 11:57 am
(14) Sean says:

Not being able to afford all the equipment I want! Just burned through the firebox of another Barrel Smoker and ohh how I would love to own a Big A** unit. Oh Well. Momma got me another Barrel Smoker, it will be great for a few more years. Happy Fathers Day Ya’ll

June 10, 2010 at 9:15 pm
(15) Philip says:

Never heard of a Weber wearing out. Must be a super master griller : )

June 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(16) Smoke On The Water says:

“Too many bad cookouts lead to unused cooking equipment.” Shhhh. That’s where I buy most of my gear!!!

June 15, 2011 at 6:20 am
(17) Neal says:

I bought a Char-broil commercial grill 4 years ago(brass burners and stainless everything)thinking it should be the last grill I would have to buy and it’s now deteriorated badly.Needs new burners and crossover tubes(nearly $200).
I’m frustrated over what to do. Just buy a cheap grill knowing it’s going to be trash in year or two or take the money and buy something better (hopefully) I’m not sure what that might be?

June 7, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(18) riha says:

usually its overcook , because we need to be patient when grilling food and that very hard for me

June 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(19) Shadows says:

Impatient people…. “is it done yet?”. folks just don’t understand that grilling does not always mean fast food.