1. Food

Derrick Riches

Recall Alert: STOK Island and STOK Quattro Gas Grills

By April 18, 2012

The Consumer Product Safety Commission, Health Canada, and One World Technologies have issued this recall concerning leaking gas regulators on the STOK Island and STOK Quattro Gas Grills. There have been 569 reports of propane leaking from these faulty regulators which can cause an uncontrollable fire underneath the grill. Owners are asked to stop using their grill immediately and Contact One World Technologies at (800) 867-9624 between 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday for a replacement regulator. This recall affects 87,600 STOK gas grills sold at Home Depot US and Canada stores and Direct Tools Factory Outlet stores between March 2011 and February 2012.

See my list of recent outdoor Product Recalls

Image: STOK Grills

Comments

April 20, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(1) Gary H says:

Just happened upon this recall, I know it is only 2 days old but, it would have been nice to get some kind of correspondence from this company or maybe putting a sign up in Home Depot; anyway the guy on the phone was good, I had to remove the regulator from the unit, put in a box for Fed Ex to pick up & they will ship a new one in a week, glad I didn’t give away the old Weber yet!!! The STOK Grill looks impressive, but it could have come with more grilling instructions , recipes, etc; they clam it is a better way of grilling, but leave it up to you to figure it all out.

May 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(2) David says:

Like last post – stumbled across the recall. Wife contacted Stok and they gave her a hard time. She had to read the manufacturer off the regulator (still attached to the grill), even though the problems – leaking and hissing were as noted in the recall. In the end Stok said they would send a FedEx label to return regulator before we get a new regulator (about 3 weeks turnaround). No apology. Worse part – we are registered at the Stok website, mailing address etc – and we did not receive any notice about the recall.

Grill had problems with heat, besides the leaking regulator. Hopefully, a new regulator will solve the problem, otherwise avoid this grill – bad customer service.

May 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm
(3) Disappointed says:

Son of a gun, just purchased this morning at HD in Canada, and it is leaking .Yeesh you’d think they would have purged the stock of affected stOks. Called Stok service, up waited on hold only to be disconnect 8 minutes in. This does not bode well for their warranty support.

Home Depot will swap the regulator or take it as a return.

Back it goes.

May 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm
(4) angry says:

Bought this grill last year and registered it. Just turned it on for a Memorial Day BBQ to hear and smell gas leaking!! Never notified by the company! Happened to look on line to see if anyone else had this problem and found this site…scary. I am so angry that I wasnt notified.

July 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(5) Mark says:

I also accidentally found out about the recall buying accessories at direct tool. I have to wait a week before the Fex Ex date they set up for me. So much for summer grilling . My Home Depot is no longer carrying the Quattro. I really like this grill but disappointed in the lack of communication especially when I signed up on line as a customer. How about an e mail!

July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(6) Bob L says:

I just found out about the recall only because I was searching to see if they sell a rotisserie – which the don’t. Very disappointed to hear that they will not send a replacement until I send them back the defective unit. Service rep told me that was a “government regulation” whereupon I told him that the automotive industry has been handling recalls for years and they never make you wait while they send the defective parts back. Asked to speak to a manager and was told won’t matter, “they have been handling recalls like this for years and have always done it this way”. I should have known better than to buy a brand I never heard of but I like this grill. Now that Home Depot has dropped this line I’m sure I won’t get much help there either.

October 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm
(7) Albert says:

I received the burners today. As I was going to change these… I realized everything is corroded. I am going to trash the grill. It is unfortunate to learn how bad these grills are… I bought it 11 months ago, always under a roof, also covered with a bbq cover and still everything got destroyed… Should have gone with Weber… You pay more but guaranteed a great product.

Alberto

Ps:let me know if you want the burners back.
Sent from my iPad

November 10, 2012 at 7:45 am
(8) john sheardown says:

Thank you for your comments I was about to purchase this grill today however i will pass. Thanks again

February 8, 2013 at 5:29 pm
(9) RJO says:

It is 02-08-2013 and I stumbled on this recall… GREAT… never heard from Stok or Home Depot and could have died?

March 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(10) Kevin says:

Wow would have been nice to know, I found this site looking for a replacement regulator because mine started leaking!

May 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(11) Unbelivable says:

Wow! I too just found this site while looking for replacement a regulator and burners. I purchased the grill last year from Home Depot and was very dissapointed when the grill started hissing and whislting after just a few uses! Rather than get a new grill this year I thought perhaps I’d try replacing the regulator and burner. After reading this I guess I’m abandoning this notion and will chalk this up as a lesson learned. I never heard anything from Stok or Home Depot about the problems or recall notice. Home Depot promoted the hell out of this grill last year. They even got an endorsement from Martha Stewart! I will never by another grill from Home Depot again!

May 19, 2013 at 12:39 am
(12) A.W says:

Almost bought one today. Decided to check reviews online and I’m glad I did…..Scratch that purchase.

March 8, 2014 at 12:01 pm
(13) Fish says:

This grill is junk! I don’t post usually but it is a piece!

April 15, 2014 at 1:27 pm
(14) charles says:

Like several others have said I never received a recall notice – just happened on this by accident. I was getting ready to order grill burners but the comments on the support for this grill have caused me to think it would be better to bring this poor performer to the curb.

Beyond the regulator issue the fact that that within a relatively short period of time all burners and the pieces that hold them together needed replacement. The cost to replace everything is not worth it. I see a new grill in my future very soon. Guess what it won’t be a Stok!