1. Food

Derrick Riches

First Look: Cajun Express Smoker

By September 2, 2011

Take a look at this one. Built with steel plate, painted black, and propane powered, you would think this was just another grill or smoker. This smoker is surprisingly different. This is a high speed smoker that promises a full smoked brisket in 2 hours and a rack of barbecue ribs in as little as 35 minutes. What this is, in essence is a box inside a box with an airtight door. Between the two is a water chamber. A gas burner heats the water, in turn, heating the cooking chamber with radiant heat and a wood chunk box to produce smoke. The way the plumbing is arranged, as the water heats it draws away from the cooking chamber creating a vacuum, or at least low pressure zone. This expands the meat allowing seasonings and smoke to be absorbed quickly. With a cooking temperature much higher than a traditional smoker (around 350 degrees F.), the food cooks much faster.

The question is, what do you think? Can a low pressure, gas powered smoker produce the same quality of barbecue as the more traditional style?

Made by R & V Works, but you can find it for sale (around $1,000USD) at The Deep Fryer Depot.

Image: R & V Works

Comments

September 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(1) Bryan E Patrick says:

I’m pretty skeptical. It’s been my experience that shortcuts in cooking just don’t produce the same product. But, I could be wrong.

September 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm
(2) Anthony H says:

I have a new Cajun Express Smoker!!! It is like a new toy! I cooked baby back ribs tonight in 35 minutes at 350!!! They tasted a Amazing!!!! Two nights ago I cooked two whole chickens in the same amount of time for a couple of friends and amazed them and myself again!!! Never had smoked chickens so juicy and full of flavor!!!!! I highly recommend this smoker!!!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm
(3) BIG "D" says:

I have cooked on The Cajun Express Smoker since march.
I have cooked for many people and all are impressed , but
one in particular wrote an article “Outdoor Cooking has Gone Super Sonic” . You’ve got to read this article.
This unit will blow you away. Its a must have item

September 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(4) Judy Montelbano says:

I have had an occasion to eat brisket cooked on this amazing cooker. The brisket was so tender and juicy it was wonderful. I owned a restaurant for 13 years and wish this product had been on the market during that time. Cooking time is minimal and the result is terrific.

September 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm
(5) Mike E. says:

I’ve eaten chicken and ribs cooked on one of these cookers. EXCELLENT!!!

November 18, 2012 at 10:51 am
(6) Richard says:

I work for R&V works. The first time I saw this product built, I was very skeptical as most everyone is when you see a product that says it can shorten cooking time with perfect results. What I saw and ate, was simply amazing. It does cook everything as advertised and beyond. I smoked a 20 lb. turkey in mine in an hour and a half. Now, I love the cajun deep fried turkey. But the one I smoked is now my favorite. No smoker on the market can outcook it. I was totally in awe of how it cooked and how the food tastes.

May 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm
(7) WC says:

I do not own one of these, but the company was doing a display of how the product works. I had ribs and brisket cooked on it. Both were tender, juicy, and full of flavor. Unfortunately, I have a hard time swallowing shelling out $1k for a smoker. I just cannot justify paying that just to smoke meats more quickly. I guess I will stick to the old school method that takes more time. If you have the $$ and dont mind dishing it out…get you one, it cooks really well.

July 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm
(8) Mandi says:

Can you just grill on it? Like burgers and hot dogs? If I pay that much I want to be able to use it for all my grilling needs.

August 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(9) john says:

I am not a fan of smoked or barbecued meat, but with this cooker you can use very little chips and get a great flavor and the cook time is unreal. I love the fryer and now added the smoker to the list.

August 6, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(10) james says:

Just parked my new Cajun Express smoker at it’s home . Smoker is locally advertised for $995. It is a heavy duty smoker that took a forklift to load and 3 to unload. What sold me during the demonstration was the theory that makes the smoker work and simplicity of operation. Was looking at a pellet fed with circuit boards for allot more money. I feel confident my money was well spent.

September 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm
(11) James says:

Holds temperature as advertised. So far I have cooked 4 butts, 2 loins, 4 racks of ribs and a couple of chickens. It works.

November 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(12) John L says:

I became friends with Robert, the owner of R & V works after purchasing 5 of his fryers, a grill and another cooker. I got a Cajun Express Smoker from him about a year ago before they were commercially available. This smoker is the real deal folks. Since getting mine I have smoked about 30 butts, 20 racks of ribs, several turkeys and a half dozen or so briskets. Average cook time is about 1/4 to 1/5 the time in a conventional smoker. Although there is no “smoke ring” the taste is 100% as good as any smoked meat I have ever had. The flavor is equal and you can put as much smoke taste as you want with just a handful of chips.

December 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(13) AJ says:

I had one shipped to Northern New Mexico as it is impossible to find good BBQ up here. It is simply amazing. The first round we tried ribs and pork chops. In exactly 35 minutes, I had the best ribs I have had outside of Texas and I have never smoked anything. We are anxiously awaiting their cookbook! We are just starting to cook two chickens and a couple elk back straps.

Is it expensive? Yes.

Is it worth it? Every penny.

February 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm
(14) Sue says:

I have one, it produces the tenderest, moistest, ribs, chicken, turkey, with such a wonderful flavor. The time is short and the food is awesome. I am going to try to smoke some fish in it next. I think 5-10 minutes will do. Anyone else try smoking King Mackerel, Salmon, etc…?