1. Food

Derrick Riches

RECALL Alert: Fiesta Blue Ember Gas Grill

By July 21, 2009

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Health Canada, and Fiesta Gas Grills have announce a voluntary recall of 113,000 Fiesta Blue Ember Gas Grills models FG50045, FG50057, and FG50069 sold in the United States and Canada between November 2006 and May 2008. The problem relates to a potential fire hazard caused by the gas hose coming too close to the firebox. If you own this grill (see the complete posting at CSPC for a complete list of model numbers) you are asked to discontinued usage until you have repaired the grill. Repairing the grill includes inspecting the gas hose and regulator to determine if there is damage and a replacement of the grills grease tray. DO NOT use this grill until these repairs have been made.

Please take this recall serious. 161 fires have been reported related to this defect and 9 injuries, 2 serious. The longer you wait to resolve this problem the more likely you are to have a serious accident.

The Blue Ember Gas Grill was subject to a previous recall in October of 2008. Blue Ember Gas grills are manufactured by Unisplendor Corp., and Keesung Corp., of China and imported by Fiesta Gas Grills of Dickson, Tennessee.

Photo: Fiesta Gas Grills

Comments

July 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(1) Rachelle says:

Yes, take this recall serious. We only got to use our 4-5 times before ours caught fire. The hose that connects to the propane tank caught fire and thankfully we had a fire extinguisher handy to put it out-water doesn’t do the trick with this kind of fire. Thankfully no one was hurt and our house didn’t catch fire (even though it was next to the house).
Please take it seriously!!

August 2, 2009 at 1:02 am
(2) Steve says:

Yes.. ours caught fire as well and sent flames out the back against my vinyl siding and warped the siding. if it wasn’t for my aware guest who noticed the flames we would have had a serious fire in our townhouse complex.

Glad to see a recall although I repaired mine already.

September 18, 2009 at 7:01 pm
(3) Tim Hallstrom says:

Our grill caught fire 2 months ago, I’m in the Fire Department here in our town, no big deal, Got the hose and sprayed it down to reach in and turn the gas off.
Hose completely burned thru.
Went to buy replacement parts and saw this Recall.
I hope they make good on it.
Timmy from Connecticut

January 17, 2010 at 11:37 pm
(4) Terri Ferro says:

I wasn’t so lucky. My entire house burned down as a result of this problem. I was grilling burgers and had the grill under an awning because of recent heavy rains. The grill caught on fire while I was inside, and it caught the awning on fire and spread into my attic before the fire dept. could even get water on it. Four hours later I had nothing left. My entire life was burned to a crisp. Major advice. NEVER grill close to your house under any circumstances.

June 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(5) David Sanders says:

Are those tears?

February 19, 2010 at 8:20 am
(6) Angel says:

I own this particular gas grill as well. I have owned it for about 2 years. I brought it with me practically brand new from the states. The drip pan is a very serious issue. I have a gardener working at my house and he cleans the gas grill for me. I had to tell him to stop spraying it with the water hose..the drip pan rusted out completely within a year. And I mean completely…I could not hold it in my hand as it would crumble. I had to improvise and start use cooking sheets under the burners…and pans balanced right over the tank. I have discontinued using it as the drippings are making a mess and I am now shopping for a new gas grill. Everything else worked fine…I bought it due to the accessories…it was just a cheap drip pan that eventually made me stand in front of it and put my head down :(

March 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm
(7) Bill says:

I just found everything inside the grill cabinet covered completely with grease. I was looking for parts on line and found tha new ones are stainless and was about to par around $80 and found the recall. Hopefully They will send me the parts.
I left a phone message and sent an e-mail today ( 3/15/10 ) we’ll see how fast they respond.

May 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm
(8) Mark says:

just discovered this recall, am going gto follow up on the replacement parts, I would like to think that the company will respond rapidly, we’ll see

May 21, 2010 at 8:32 am
(9) John says:

I am quite shocked to hear these stories. Home Depot Canada has this grill on clearance this weekend (it is a long weekend here in Canada) and, until I read this feedback, I was about to buy one. I thought it was curious (now suspicious) why I didn’t see the grill listed in Home Depots regular website when trying to look up more details on it – now it looks like they’re trying to get rid of them. I hope they’ve already addressed the hose and grease pan issues….

May 26, 2010 at 10:07 am
(10) gill says:

my grease tray fell apart after a few months.. i love my grill but i havent been able to use it for a long time as i cant get replacement parts..they dont answer the phone EVER… found recal and got through first time… the number… if anyone needs it, 866 740 7849…

May 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(11) Jeff C South Florida says:

My Fiesta Computerized blue Ember is a peice of junk. The parts are rusting in less than a year and the MFG says I have to pay to ship their cheaply made replacement parts to me under the warranty! I live near the beach and my grill is corroding and rusting, rivets popping off and the company don’t stand behind them. DON’T MAKE A MISTAKE AND BUY ANY FIESTA PRODUCTS! I have owned it for less than 10 months, and it is well kept under a covered patio – out of the elements. Another bad thing: this thing is a GAS HOG! I have gone through AT LEAST 20 refills of the 20lb propane tanks in not even a year! (Old grill used 2 or 3 a year) Poor Quality, computer is useless, not for outdoor use, broke within a few months. I cannot warn you enough of the poor quality and poor warranty terms FINE PRINT. If you made a quality product, you would not have bill the customer (make more money) for the shipping of warranty replacement parts!

September 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm
(12) rex says:

grill wrks wonderful all digital with i que love it but the fuel gauge stoped working…………..bought for fathersday 2010..

December 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm
(13) Sharon says:

My husband received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his face and arms. No one is taking responsiblilty and Fiesta is not even interested in seeing pictures or finding out more. We are going the lawyer route. The Blue Ember is going to seriously injur or cause a deadly fire one day. Please don’t use. The enclosed propane area basically exploded. Small children at that height would be really injured if they were near by. We were lucky the BBq could be pulled away from the house.

March 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm
(14) Michal says:

Hi, I am looking for some spare parts for my FG50069 and it proves to be harder than I tought. Could someone help me with any information where to get it online? Thanks

March 27, 2011 at 11:21 pm
(15) Tony says:

I had a blue ember grill that caught fire and had flames shooting in many directions. It was a miracle that no one was seriously injured. I had some damage to my home & deck but my grill was destroyed. Fiesta or who every owns them now, has been giving me the run around. It’s a shame they don’t honor their defective products or make whole the people who suffer losses.

June 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(16) Guy Martineau says:

I had a Blue Ember Grill (FG50069-584 LP) that caught fire because of a defect in April 2009 and they sent me another unit after many complaints free of charge in May 2009. They sent me another unit with the same problem without the replacement grease pan which had the heat deflector. I would have never known that this unit had the same default as the first but because of a rotting grease pan I would have never contacted the company for a replacement part. I never filed suit or claimed for the damage on my house (burned patio door, railing, etc…) and I settled for a new unit for replacement. Unfortunately, OMC did not even bother sending me a proper replacement part for the grease/heat shield unit. The same thing could have happened again and put my family and house to risk.

All they say to this is that they will not replace the hose on the unit because it is not covered under warranty. This is not what it says in the document they sent me with the grease pan unit. It says that if I suspect that the hose may be damaged, they would send me a replacement hose and regulator free of charge! (SAFETY NEWS, SP1746A-37- DOCUMENT YOU SENT WITH THE REPLACEMENT PART)

OMC must think that their clients are stupid!!!! I will not leave this alone. Not only I request the replacement part to be shipped right now so I can use my stupid BBQ but I suggests that they send me an other unit that is trouble free. This is pure NEGLIGENCE on OMC’s part. God I hate when large Corporation treat their clients like this. I am welling to pay the difference between the new unit and this one and they can pick it up when you deliver the new one!!!!

This is part of an email I sent in June 2011. They have finally agreed to send me the replacement hose but for a company that says that they strive to give their client the best service available, well I think they fired the guy that wrote that!!!!

March 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(17) Scot says:

Our Fiesta Blue Ember gas grill model#FG50069-U409 also caught fire. it burned out of control and couldn’t put it out. My arms got burnt, side of my house melting my siding, and a portion of my deck. This is criminal !!!! dont know what recourse we have but fortunatley my nephew did not get burnt as he was on the deck with me when this ticking time bomb went off!!!!!!!!!!!! We will see what if anything will happen from the company. We will be contacting a attorney.

May 2, 2012 at 8:32 am
(18) Jackie Brown says:

Has any one received the replacement parts for the Blue Ember grill ?

May 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm
(19) Christine says:

I just ordered my replacement grease pan today. They said it was out of stock but they expected a shipment next week. They are sending it for free as it is part of a recall notice. I too would like to know if anyone has received their replacement parts.

May 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm
(20) Ron says:

Just found out about the recall, I have he’d mine since 07, luckily no fires yet

May 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm
(21) Tom says:

Just found out about this recall. My grease pan fell apart over my propane tank this past weekend, luckily nothing bad happened. I just emailed for recall parts today. Hopefully this works out, otherwise the grill works great.

June 21, 2012 at 12:46 am
(22) Marvin says:

We, to just found out about the recall while searching for replacement parts, due to the grill catching on fire on Fathers Day 2012. This is a real serious issue.

June 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm
(23) Terry Burns says:

I purchased my Blue Ember #FG50069-U409 3 years ago but just found out about recall after my drip tray rusted out (not to mention the handles on the stainless doors on pedestal). Have not had any issues with fires as I assembled my own unit and gas hose is in correct location. Did have a small fire that melted the plastic around the burner on the side burner, actually my son did while cooking one day while I was at work, so I don’t really know what happened for sure. I think it is an awful shame that Fiesta would not replace all defective and rusted parts due to their negligience and typical business decisions to use substandard material to save money. SHAME on Corporate Greed. Otherwise, I too have had good grilling with this model. I am emailing the company tomorrow for recalled drip tray and maybe new door handles.

July 1, 2012 at 12:12 am
(24) Tammy Piazza says:

I have never been so frustrated in my life. My husband and son (16 years old) were grilling when our grill caught fire. The grill caught my son’s face, arms, and stomach on fire. His skin was literally flaking off his body. He received 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over his body from the waist up. If he had not jumped into the shower it would all have been 3rd degree burns. When the paramedics arrived, they were going to call the helicopter to transport him to hospital since his nose was burned and they feared his lungs were burned. We had to pay ambulance bills, hospital bills, and doctor bills. What has this world come to allow a consumer to buy a $500.00 gas grill knowing it had a default that could cause harm to a person. What is unbelievable is that I ordered a part in June for Father’s Day and talked to someone live from this company to order a rotisserie and they never told me about a recall. This accident to my son happened two months later in August. Why was I not informed of this recall? I had mailed in my registration upon purchase. Our family never received an apology or any aid in hospital bills. Please do not buy or use this grill for your own safety! I would not want anyone smelling skin burning from a family member as I did for at least 3 days while doctoring him with bandages after his burned skin was removed from his body. The surgeon thought he was going to need skin grafts but thankfully he didn’t have to endure surgery. When our grill caught fire we had a full tank of gas ready to exchange since our tank that was in use was almost empty. Our house could have gone up in flames too. Please get rid of these grill!

July 16, 2012 at 11:21 am
(25) Derek says:

I have had one of these grills for many years now. The grease pan rusted out the first year and the manufacturer replaced it free of charge with a complete SS pan. Great grill and customer service!

August 5, 2012 at 9:23 am
(26) Steve says:

I had this grill, it caught on fire, ruined much of my siding, and destroyed my grill. I called this person:

Ashley Bond
warranty specialist
TEL: 519-885-4540 ext 3063
FAX: 519-885-1390
WEB: http://www.omcbbq.com
Email: abond@omcbbq.com

First she wanted the make, model, serial numberand tons of pictures. i gave it to her and she confirmed that it was one that was recalled. She said that she would be getting back to me soon. Weeks went by with no response, so I e-mailed and asked what was going on. she said they were looking into it. Another month went by and I emailed her again. Then she wanted to know the exact date of purchase, even though she already admitted that it was one that was recalled. I told her that dont know the exact date of purchase. Then an attorney called and told me that his company purchased the right to use the name of blue ember, but that the actual company was bankrupt and so there was no way to recover any damages.

Its sad that no one stands behind their product

Any advice?

May 20, 2013 at 2:11 pm
(27) Lin Hamilton says:

i telephoned my model and serial number only to be told that mine is not recalled. OK, maybe so.

I have had no problems till yesterday. Could only get a small flame.
What do I do? My BBQ is about 4 years old.

June 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm
(28) shabbygirl says:

I called today and they said my unit was not under the recall either(FG50069-U409). She had me give her the serial number as well, and said I did not have one the grills, and ask if I wanted replacement pans for $29.99, and $7.39(smaller drip pan) plus $14.99 shipping.

Sad that so many have been hurt by this companies negligence! Good luck everyone!

August 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm
(29) DJ says:

I called about a year ago and got the replacement parts in the mail. I noticed that the drip tray started to rust so I took it upon myself and sanded it down and used grill paint to paint the drip pan. This is the orginal one that was made with it and so far so good. Also the recall was due to the hose being ran wrong under the grill. It would get too hot and melt causing gas to leak out and catch fire. Not sure if anyone is still having problems but look online and it shows you how to run the hose. Mine ….knock on wood and pray to the lord that it never catches on fire but the company didnt give me any hassels and sent me the parts…. I would deff buy from agian and as far as using too much gas … I have not had one problem a tank will last me for a long while but I do turn off from the tank and not the knobs when not in use.

to date my grill is about 4 years old and I pray I can get much more use out of it : ) ☺

March 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm
(30) shannon clark says:

This grill and all of their counterparts are completely junk. If your goal is to ruin food, then this is the grill for you.

Controls seem like you have two choices—on or off. Try anything in between and you’ll find it is either off, or going full bore.

Overall very poorly constructed.

March 29, 2014 at 9:04 pm
(31) R West says:

my barbecue was also recalled.the hose and drip tray were replaced. there is no high or low , just high. to dangerous to use. I will have to replace it.

April 9, 2014 at 3:17 pm
(32) Ohio says:

Our Blue Ember is awesome. It heats evenly, and temperature is very controllable. I used it about 3-4 nights a week for many years, but a little less last year. We have had it about 5 years.

There was a problem with the drip pan rusting out after only one season, but the company replaced it free under warranty.

Now after 5 years, we need new flame spreaders, and a new cooking surface – but the same thing happened with my last weber so… Hoping for 5 more years – just like my weber after I replaced flame spreaders and grill top.

Oh, BTW: We never cover ours. And it was WAY cheaper than a Weber. Ha!

Sign me… Ohio!