1. Food

I've told you about the importance of marinades for many years. A good marinade adds flavor, increases tenderness in meats, and protects foods from the intense heat of your grill. The problem is and always has been that to properly marinated a cut of meat requires time, several hours, meaning you need to plan ahead or not marinate.

To answer this problem we have a number of marinators. Some of these use a vacuum seal to suck out the air, expand the meat, and force the marinade in. Others take it an extra step and put the meat and marinade in a tumble chamber to help coat the meat with the marinade. Typically these units have cost as much as $200USD. The 9 Minute Marinator that I have been playing with as the added feature of being affordable. Running around $60USD this unit is perfect for the person who makes dinner choices late but still wants a good marinade.

The 9 Minute Marinator is simple to operate and while less expensive that other units is still well built. You place the meat (up to 5 pounds) in the chamber, pour in your marinade, put out the air (with a wine bottle pump) and put it on the machine. Push a button and the unit turns for exactly 9 minutes and you are done. You can be heating up the grill in this time and be eating with 30 minutes of starting the whole process.

From my trials I find that the traditional, long time marinade tends to get the flavor a little deeper into the meat, but the time saving function is certainly a plus. For people without a lot of time this is a great gadget. Best of all, everything folds up and stores in the marinating chamber so the whole unit doesn't take up a lot of space.

Photo TID LLC.

Comments

June 2, 2009 at 6:45 am
(1) Big BBQ Bob says:

Derrick -

I got the marinator (actually two as it was oddly a much better price for two) at productblizzard.com (they actually call it the Miracle Marinator) and I have to say it really is pretty amazing. I’ve done steak tips and chicken breast so far, it works as you say by getting the marinade in the meat in no time at all. I think the tumbler feature probably makes this one perform better than the plastic bag one I’ve seen advertised. All in all a good choice, thanks for the tip.

Big BBQ Bob

July 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(2) MARK says:

Yes, these work. My butcher Larry Paumen and I invented the low cost vac tumbler over ten years ago. These are just imitations of the Microtumbler a.k.a. Original Countertop Tumbler. So much for patents in America when you can make things in Chinese labor camps where they work for $200/month. Buy one, help support Communist China.

November 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(3) richard says:

Can’t you get the Customs Dept to seize them if they violate your patents?

I will not buy one now after hearing your comment.

November 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(4) Mark says:

If you want to enforce patents, you need a lot of money and a good lawyer. US Patent #7,220,656 When the sales started to really take off, the imitators like this one on this blog really came on the market fast.

Larry, My partner, died in a motorcycle accident the week after we had the product on QVC. We all ended up with nothing, including his widow and daughter as there is really no way to protect a patent unless you have a pile of cash. It is public record, there is no need to exaggerate. You can see, the patent was filed in September 2001, and later granted; some of the additional claims were not granted patent, that is normal.

Tumblers work like magic, even the first one we made using a salad tub and a vacuum pump from a wine saver. We barbequed pork chops with 15% marinade after 10 minutes of tumbling. It was amazing, as I was an Engineer and a little skeptical that the prototype would actually work, Larry being a butcher expected it to work…and it did, that is what led to the one we designed for mass market. People just couldn’t believe it, like we where fooling them some how by making the marinate disappear, but when they tasted the meat… they where just amazed.

January 10, 2012 at 12:43 am
(5) PAUL says:

U am highly disappointing. I have ordered the marinator for my wife as Christmas present. When she want to use it we found that not all the parts were there.
I also ordered the vacuum sealer. It seals but does not vacuum

July 17, 2012 at 9:19 am
(6) lga says:

what do i do if the seal is not tight enough. The food spills out when i put it on the tumbler? My units is less than a year old! am so disappointed. Who Do i contact ?? Please advise

July 17, 2012 at 9:21 am
(7) lga says:

what do i do if my marinator does not seal properly. the food spills when i put it on the tumbler. It used to work then in less than a year, it just doesnt seal anymore. what do i do and who can i ask pls….thanks