1. Food

PoodleHeadMikey Asks:

"I have a CharBroil (so-called ) Commercial unit. (so called ) all stainless steel, propane fired. I bought it 'on the fly' so to speak two years ago. We give out hot dogs for Halloweeen instead of candy every year. My 'usual grille' is built in at the rear of the house - so I need a moveable unit for Halloween - on the front lawn by the street.

Grabbed this one at Lowes without prior research. Moderately OK with three cast brass burners. But not really well made - rusting screws, etc.

And now the "stainless steel rod" grates have turned out to be apparently; stainless steel foil over mild steel rods which are a rusty mess after one year.

The replacement grates are apparently solid stainless rods but they are also $235. plus shipping!

I would actually prefer porcelain-over-cast iron grates but CharBroil only has available plain cast iron and the (now) solid stainless steel units. CharBroil just seem a little too proud of them for my tastes. Hell; I only paid $350. or $400. for the whole unit - I hate the idea of spending another $250. on it after only two years!

I am toying with the idea of making some 304 stainless steel rod grates myself, but I need another thing on my to-do list like I need a brain tumor.

What do you all suggest? Is there an relatively inexpensive answer? Should I toss the CharBroil as a bad deal and never look back? What do you all think?"

Answer

Comments

March 12, 2009 at 1:38 am
(1) grill service center says:

i work for char-broil customer service and process warranty orders, and i have to say, i don’t believe your whole story. i don’t believe that the grates were that expensive, and i also don’t believe they were going to make you pay in full for them. that just sounds ridiculous, and as i take calls all day long from people who are experiencing similar issues to your own, i would know. Also, have you considered the fact that maybe the rust might be your problem? If you took care of your grill and clean it after each use, along with storing it in a safe place, you would not have trouble with the grill so fast next time. thanks.

July 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(2) Mike says:

Well, if in fact you are in customer service, after your reply, I’m 100% convinced the story is true.

August 14, 2011 at 11:09 am
(3) Donalbein says:

I own the so called Commercial series, clean after each use and store covered in the garage. Let me tell you the thing is junk. The screws are rusting, the doors have rotted thru and the stainless is pitting and rusting. Also, the porcelain coated cast iron grates need replacing for the 2nd time in only 5 years. The coating flakes off with use and if you don’t use then the cast iron underneath rust and causes the flaking. Have contacted custumer service and was told nothing they could do….seems to be a common problem.

September 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(4) B says:

I strongly disagree with your statement. You probably own a Weber. I have kept my Charbroil Commercial Series covered consistently for 4 years (cleaned it consistently as well) and the cast iron grates are literally flaking off in chunks. Your company has the audacity to charge $100 (not including shipping) for replacement grates. If you’re going to sell replacement parts they should at least be affordable and not a 1/4 of the price of the unit.

Charbroil needs to clean up its act and stop ripping off the customers with its inferior products.

April 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(5) carrie says:

We have also owned a Char-Broil grill for 2 years and all of the internal parts are completely rusted through. Very disappointing! Especially considering we do take care of our grill. My husband has always cleaned it after every use and we keep it covered. The only thing we didn’t do is move it inside the garage during the spring/summer when we use it. It is in the garage during the winter months. SO, I would say that we have done our due diligence and that the Char-Broil grills are crap!!!

May 13, 2009 at 5:07 pm
(6) paul says:

I also own a Charbroil Commercial Series grill, stainless w/ 4 burners and stainless grates. My wife and I got it for Christmas in 2005.

A little over a week ago I found this post and almost jumped the gun and left a bad post about Charbroil. My grates were in terrible shape, totally covered with rust and flaking metal. I was trying to decide whether to fork out the cash for new stainless grates or just buy a new grill. Because of the post from “grill service center” I decided to contact Charbroil and explore my options.

I did not think the grates were under warranty, so I was willing to pay something, just not full retail. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the grates were actually covered under warranty. I now have new grates. Everything was handled by email through their website contact, and all very quickly. The customer service was awesome and I was extremely pleased with the outcome. In fact, I felt no allegiance before but now I will make my next grill another Charbroil because I am so happy with the service.

It is probably important to point out that I had registered my grill when I got it at the end of 2005, so I was in their system. I don’t know if it helped make my case that I am the original owner. No matter, I recommend contacting them before giving up on them. The outcome for me was much better than I expected.

July 8, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(7) Deb says:

We also bought the Char Broil two years ago. The commericial. They had to send us several parts initially and I was happy about that service. But, we are terribly disappointed in the the rusting. We took great care of it had it covered and the grates rusted a second time. I just tried to buy new grates and they had switched them to porcelian which is worse. We are trying to find stainless on the web right now. Our next purchase will be something else,but everything is made so cheaply anymore.

August 4, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(8) Mike says:

I have owned the 4 burner Commercial Series for two months. Clean after every use and always covered and under roof when not in use. Grates and “infrared” plates are rusted. Customer service says they won’t help until I upload digital photos of the rusted parts. Lowes guy says Charbroil doesn’t let them replace grates, and that if they won’t help, I should just return the whole grill to Lowes. I think that is the way to go. Lowes wants me as a customer now and in the future. Charbroil could care less.

DO NOT BUY THIS GRILL OR ANYTHING LIKE IT.

August 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(9) Andre Gonzalez says:

To Grill Service Center Person, everyone on this forum is saying the same thing, specifically that the grill is an overpriced piece of junk. I too have a commercial unit, and as everyone else has written, I am experiencing the rust. I have the fortune of access to ‘real’ commercial equipment so I have replaced most of the rusting parts with stainless. However, more importantly that the problem is your reaction to it. I would be surprised to believe that Charbroil would train their ‘Customer Service’ people to accuse the customers of lying, then blaming the problem on the customer himself. That was all I needed to never, ever purchase another product from Charbroil. Next purchase will be from Weber. Thank you.

August 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm
(10) Doug says:

I purchased a 5 burner “Commercial Series” in May of 06 and have been very disappointed in it. I typically keep it covered and under the overhang on the pool deck and the stainless is disclored, I’ve cleaned it several times, I’ve had to replace the cross over tubes the the grates are flaking apart. For the factory painted parts I ended up taking the grill apart, sanding them down, priming them with galanizing paint and repainting them with Rust-ol-ium paint. VERY didappointed in a grill that was $500. Ref the grill grates, I’m looking at building my own stainless steel ones.

Doug

August 24, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(11) Kevin says:

I have had this grill for about a year. I struggle to find a part of the grill that ISN’T rusting. I take very good care of my grills. They are always cleaned and covered.

The grates are absolutely horrible. They are almost falling apart. Rather than buy new grates, I think I will get a new grill from another manufacturer. No more Charbroil for me.

January 4, 2010 at 2:37 am
(12) Joyce says:

Has anyone ever found any stainless steel grates that will fit in the Charbroil commercial model # 463268007? We need to replace our grates but we do not want to buy the cast iron grates that charbroil offers as replacement. There has to be grates somewhere to fit this grill. Any suggestions on which grates would work or where to buy stainless grates that will replace the rusted out ones on this model?

March 23, 2010 at 10:47 am
(13) Ryan says:

re:Joyce

I have the same model and found these as fine replacements and not too expensive.

April 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(14) Charbroil never again says:

I also own a “Commercial” Charbroil grill and the grates and other parts are all rusted. I contacted Charbroil, sent pictures and they did not replaced there junk grates.

April 24, 2010 at 8:30 am
(15) Jen says:

I have been having the same problems with my “Commercial” Charbroil grill. My grates are rusted (they have been well taken care of) I haven’t even had this grill for a year yet. I took out one of my grates to try and find a replacement as soon as I picked it up the grate BROKE in half. How does THAT HAPPEN? Not to mention Home Depot, Lowes, every where I have looked does not have even a similar grate to replace in my grill. This is very aggravating that I paid SOOO much for a JUNK grill. I will never buy another Charbroil grill again.

And to the person that “works at Charbroil customer service” with the response you gave, I’m surprised you still have a JOB at Charbroil. You really need to work on your “customer service” skills.

May 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm
(16) ken says:

I also am the owner of a Char Broil grill , like all of the others mentioned before. I have had it about two years, and it is cleaned, covered, and sits under roof of the carport where it is used. I am sad to say I am disappointed in the rust spots all over the unit, but most of all the grates are absolutly falling apart. I found this web page actually looking for new grates. We have to cover our present grates with aluminium foil to even cook a hamburger, or we will get parts of the flaking grates in the hamburger patty. This is why I decided to start trying to find new grates or better yet to replace my grill. You can be assured I will do more homework before I buy the next one, and it will not be a Char Broil.

I surely thought this would be a good purchase when I bought it, but I am sad to say it is a big disappointment. Thanks for all of your honesty with your comments…

May 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm
(17) Karen says:

This is really hilarious! I am searching the web right this minute intending to order my 2nd set of the cast iron cooking grates for our supposedly “COMMERCIAL” Series CharBroil! Just came upon this posting and couldn’t resist adding my own comments! Same deal … purchased in summer of 2006 – Use only in the warmer months, it’s covered, and we clean after every use. It’s stored inside thru the winter. I’m now on my 2nd set of grates … They are totally rusted thru and 1st set actually broke in 1/2 on me while I was cleaning! Other parts are rusted badly as well (no control over it!), but “nice-looking, safe to cook on” grids is what I’m more concerned about. Stay away from the “Commercial” series … You’re paying extra for the name, but the quality stinks.

May 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm
(18) John says:

I get so tired of all this junk. I’ll give you three guess where this junk is made, and the first two don’t count.

If someone made an American quality grille, I’d pay twice the price of a Chinese piece of junk. The grille would last three times as long and you wouldn’t have to worry about the chemicals vaporizing into your families food from the crap they made the medal, paint or gas tubes with.

I have a Chinese made Char-broil replacement grate purchased at Lowes. I haven’t installed it yet,(intend to return it) due to the warning label on it. “WARNING:COMBUSTION BY PRODUCTS PRODUCED WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT CONTAIN CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS, AND OTHER REPRODUCTION HARM.” You want me to feed my family off this? Are you kidding me? “Come over for a cook-out!” “It’s the only fun your family is going to have for the next three generations!”….that is, if there is a next generation after eating off this stuff.

I think a few out of work welders should at least get together and make replacement stainless steel grates to order. It’s not rocket science and the job you save by buying American…..may be your/my own.

June 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm
(19) Saviour says:

Your prayers have been answered!

July 25, 2011 at 11:51 am
(20) Gail says:

Reference the Char broil grills…I actually worked at Charbroil in Ga back when the product was made in the good old USA..and it was a wonderful product BUT now made in China hince the words piece of crap…Reason enough to buy product that reads “Made in USA”….wake up people…

July 25, 2011 at 11:54 am
(21) Gail says:

Amen!! I also own charbroil rusted grill…piece of crap. I use to work for Charbroil in Ga when they were made in good old USA…great product…now made in China..hince the words piece of crap….Wake up people….Made in USA does mean something…”buy it!!!”

May 20, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(22) AL says:

Wow, glad to see that I am not the only person that is having this problem of my “COMMERCIAL SERIES” charcrap grill. I have a four burner model 463268706 and the stainless steel must not actually be stainless as every panel on the grill has rust spots and the hood has rust in every edge. I found this site also when looking online for replacement grates that were not going to cost me as much as a new grill! I actually found a site where they are very affordable only $36.87 for the set of 2. Here is the link: http://buyitnow64.stores.yahoo.net/chgasgrcacog12.html

as for my future grill purchase…….it will not be a charbroil!

June 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(23) stingz says:

My char broil grill is fine, though I don’t have the commercial series. How many of you actually called customer service to get replacement parts under warranty? Not many I’m guessing.

Also kinda interesting just how reliable the timing is between posts :p

August 14, 2011 at 11:21 am
(24) Donalbein says:

Actually called them on both occasions was told the grates not under warranty the 2nd time. As for the overall rusting of the entire unit….this is considered normal and due to poor maintenance. I guess regular cleaning, covered and in the garage between uses is considered by Charbroil to be poor maintenance!!!! What a joke!!!!

June 26, 2010 at 9:25 pm
(25) IPaid90Bucks for Grates that never Came!! says:

We bought our CharBroil in April 2007 and by August 2009, our grates were completely rusted. This summer I ordered the Char Broil replacement grates from Lowe’s on May 27 and they STILL HAVEN’T COME!! I’ve called Lowe’s 100 times — they say they’re really sorry but can’t do anything about it. Char-Broil says the grates are on back order and it’s unclear as to when I’ll ever get them.

Here’s what I did: I wrote the Char Broil CEO: Alan Shaw, 1017 Front Avenue, Columbus Georgia, 31999. I wrote the Lowe’s CEO and my state’s Division of Consumer Affairs.

July 30, 2010 at 8:57 am
(26) Dan the Man says:

I need some help. My stainless steel rod grates are completely rusted through. Charbroil said that I have a 10 year warranty, and to simply read the model and serial number to them, and they would send me new grates for free. BUT, the first few numbers of the serial number have disappeared!! I need a serial number off of a 2005 CharBroil Grill Commercial Series Stainless Grill. Mine has the first 4 or 5 numbers missing and they will not honor the 10 year warranty unless I can read them the serial#. I figure the first 4 or 5 numbers of the serial # are all the same on ones bought in 2005. I hope your serial number is not printed with disappearing ink like mine! Oh, get this: my Lowe’s receipt is too faded to read, so Lowe’s said they could provide a copy. ‘When did you purchase your grill?’ June 2005. ‘Oh, sorry, we destroy all records on a rolling 5 year basis.’ So, had I called last month, I could have gotten the receipt.

Send me the first string of numbers. It should start with a ‘G’ Call me at 843-478-9366, or email me at charlestondan@bellsouth.net. Thanks, Dan

October 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(27) Keith says:

I have the Commercial Charbroil with stainless grates (bought in 2005 or 2006) which rusted like everyone else here. The service center gave me a hard time and asked for pictures but have replaced these grates twice so far so I must say they come through in the end. I did have to pay shipping ($9) but don’t have a problem with that. They also told me these grates are warranteed for 99 years.

February 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(28) Shawn says:

Bought Commercial Series Grill 463268107 from Lowes. The grates on the grill have disintegrated from rust. Grates were seasoned as directed & cleaned after each use. Grill was covered and stored under a roof out of the weather. Most expensive grill I’ve ever bought and worst grill I’ve ever owned. I’ll never buy another a Char-Broil product ! Now that I’m stuck with this grill is there any alternative grates available. Replacements I’ve seen are $125 or more. Should I try other grates or simply buy another non-Char-Broil grill ?

April 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm
(29) Bob from Michigan says:

Me too – Char-Broil “Commercial” Model 463268008. bought 1.5 years ago. Covered in the yard all summer and fall. Covered in the garage all winter and spring. Diligently cleaned and maintained. Two grates are disintergrating and leaving chunks of metal and who knows what on our food. $50 ea to replace. Are they kidding?!? Char-Broil lost a customer for life. Weber, here I come!

May 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm
(30) Kathy says:

This BBQ is a piece of CRAP, Commercial Series 580 Infrared, model # 463247310. It was a waste of $450. It’s a little over a year old and the cooking surface is rusty. I have a problem putting a tenderloin steak on it with fear of having the rust on the meat. We keep it clean and apply the oil as recommended. I went on a chat line with CharBroil and they really were of no help. Our old bbq (Napolean) was 10 years old, sat out all winter, and always started first try, had the best steaks cooked on it and I miss it. CharBroil should be reported to the department of health as this is an unsafe cooking surface. Should’ve bought the $5 hibachi, that would’ve been a better deal for a use once and throw away.

May 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(31) Slim says:

I too have the same problem…my grates are literally flaking apart. The grill is three years old, and contrary to what the poster claiming to work for charbroil said, i took good care of the grill. The deal is as simple as this…the grates and the upper rack are just plain junk. I called customer service and they want 24.99 a piece for replacement grates that are the same junk. 100 bucks for the same junk to replace the set? Not a chance. I was looking for at least a discount knowing that these have been a problem, but my warranty was for one year so I’m out of luck. I looked for replacements at Home depot and the new charbroil grills have altogether different grates, and in fact the older models just sitting on the floor have the older style grates and they are flaking apart so bad you could pick pieces off with a fingernail-imagine that these grills have never even been used and the grates are failing. I don’t know what my solution will be but i can tell you I would never deal with this company again.

May 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(32) Jan says:

LOL………….my story is the same! Charbroil is piece of junk. I have a 43247009 I bought 2 years ago (now discontinued) and the grates are rusted. I also always cleaned mine and kept it covered. Their warranty stinks, their replacements parts are outrageously priced (they won’t give you a deal despite knowing there is an issue with the grates) and their customer service is useless….. no help at all. I am going back to my Weber; never had an issue with them and you can find reasonably priced replacement parts if you need them. Bottom line – don’t buy a Charbroil, don’t even let them give you one…….run as fast as you can in the other direction. I’ll never buy one again!

June 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(33) Marc says:

My ‘Commercial’ Charbroil is model 463240904 and is at least five years old. has been out on the deck, with vinyl cover, all year long. When we began using it this Spring, I realized that the rods of the grate had bulged and split open. Thus it was revealed that the ‘Stainless Steel’ grates are cold steel rods clad with a few thousandths of an inch of SS. They had actually become dangerous for risks of metal flakes getting onto food and hand cuts from trying to wipe off the deteriorating rods. Furthermore, the flame carryover tubes between burners had disintegrated.
I priced the parts at the Charbroil web site and found to be nearly $100 to replace everything that is no longer intact. I called the company and selected the phone keypad option for a warranty claim. I thought that I had registered my grill for warranty soon after purchasing at Lowes. Indeed, I must have because the company is sending new (porcelain) grates and new carryover tubes for only the shipping cost @ $8.99.

June 12, 2011 at 10:56 am
(34) David in Seattle says:

Thanks for this thread. I’m Tweeted about it to Char-Broil. http://twitpic.com/5alhsw. Also cross posted to Facebook.

August 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(35) Rob says:

hey, who took a picture of my grates. Exactly what I see outside my door now. POS grates.

June 12, 2011 at 11:38 am
(36) Lynn says:

AMEN to ALL the comments–will never spend $500 on another CHARBROIL “COMMERCIAL” brand!!!! Stainless is pitted and discolored after 2 grillings and cast iron racks are rusted and flaking after 2 grillings–we bought this grill in 2005 or 2006.

July 2, 2011 at 7:54 am
(37) Tracer says:

Ok, lets clear this up….1st- “Commercial” series, not Commercial grade! big difference you cry babies. 2nd, its called a warranty, read it before you call CS and start your complaining. If somethings( liek your grates) are out of warranty, the Char-Broil actually does not have to replace them, most grates have a 1-year warranty! You think all you gotta do is write a ceo? He never sees your letter! A secretary gets it, hands it to several other people, and the a CS agent gets it and calls you, who you should have called in the 1st place. All you did was delay the process of either getting denied or get a discount. All you people who spend 300-400 dollars on grills, call CS and bitch, but then dont even know what half the parts are called. If you dont know, you should have just bought a charcaol grill you idiots!JUst remember, if its out of warranty and you call throwing a temper tantrum, you will probably only get a discount on parts, not warranty coverage on something thats out of warranty! The parts arent defective! ” I have spot of rust, I cant cook on that, whaaa! give me free parts!” READ YOUR MANUALS WARRNTY SECTION FIRST! Im not saying Charbroil is a perfect grill, hell Ill tell everyone to stay away from that POS Commercial Infared grills from Lowes, nothing but a headache. But just remember other parts of this rant before you call and cry about it. ” If you want good customer service, be a good customer! “

August 14, 2011 at 11:30 am
(38) Donalbein says:

A little bit of rust are you kidding me…evidently you don’t own a grill. These grates are flaking porcelain on your food and rusting too the point they break. When the first set was covered under WARRANTY the company replaced them no problem. But when CS is telling you the problem (grates disintegrating) is common then maybe..just maybe…it is poor design and materials.

July 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm
(39) Gina says:

we purchased a “front avenue” grill from Costco in 2005. Don’t know if it’s considered “commercial” or not. We’ve had the same grate rust problem pretty consistently. HOWEVER, every year or so I contact Char Broil, email them a photo of my rusted grates, and they send me a new set under warranty (I think I do have to pay shipping, but it’s less than $20 a pop).
Last year, I needed new flame throwers and some other items (including a new ignition). ALL of them were covered under the warranty and I paid a grand total of about $20.
I’m not saying the customer service rep who 1st commented on this thread was the most diplomatic of folks, but for me, Char Broil has been great in the warranty replacements (granted, I did have the receipt and registered the product as soon as I purchased it).
I spent about $300 for the grill 6 years ago, and after installing the new parts, it’s like new on the inside.
We use it 2-5 times a week nearly all year – we’ve even grilled our xmas roast on it during snow (live in the midwest).
Having said that, I’m thinking of getting replacement porcelain covered cast iron grates – I can buy a set aftermarket for about $150. Anyone have any opinions?

July 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm
(40) Dan says:

We found the same problem with our Char-Broil Commercial grill Model 463268007. Our grills are so rusty we cannot even use it. We are trying to find replacement grills for it and have not had any luck thus far. We take care of the grill and use it only during the summer months and clean it after use burn it off and keep it covered well. We are very disappointed in the fact that we are scurrying around trying to find some way we can get some barbeque time in before the summer months are up. I will not replace this grill with another Char-Broil as a person should not pay that much for a grill and only be able to use it 2-3 years. Very disappointed in the grill quality….

July 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm
(41) Homer Slice says:

Pay heed to the majority. Run as fast as you can away from Lowe’s Char-Broil Commercial garbage grills. They look good in stainless but only briefly. I got the same response from their so-called customer service, tried to blame me for their crap disintegrating. Always cleaned, covered, and under roof. Everything inside the firebox rusted, burners, grates, flame deflectors, and braces. Recently I rebuilt the grill to a serviceable level by making my own braces and converting to lava rock instead of deflectors. Cooks better than when new. Unfortunately had to buy Char-Broil replacment burners which may last until the firebox rusts apart. Then it will be set on the curb for the scrap metal scroungers and I will buy a real grill.

December 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm
(42) Zoobie says:

Online chatted with Char-Broil today since by burner failed. Wanted to order a new one, but could not make out the model number. They could not help with the model number and said all parts needed a model number suggested I open a case to have someone help me figure out the model number. Opened a case and first question they ask is the model number and won’t let you submit without one. LOL IDIOTS! I called them and found out that they only have 17″ and 22″ wide burners…..how hard was that? Again, IDIOTS! They just wanted me to buy a new grill from them…I am glad I didn’t.

March 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm
(43) ken says:

the grates only last 2 years in my 2 burner charbroil infrared

March 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm
(44) Di says:

We bought our commercial series in 2010 and the grates are also all rusted. I seasoned the grill from the beginning and clean and oil it with most uses. I opened it up for this season and it is so badly rusted. I have never had to maintain a grill like this and also never had one rust as bad as this. I called cust service and they said everything that is rusted is out of warranty and tried to sell me replacement parts. We will just clean it up as best we can, use it this summer and buy a different brand next year. No more Char Broil for me.

April 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm
(45) Dissatisfied says:

I have the char broil infra red and the cooking process is very good. However, after using the grill only three times the porcelain was flaking off the grates on to the food. I called, sent photos, and they replaced the grates. Used the new grates only one time and the porcelain was flaking off the grates. Then they wanted to argue and tell me that the small SHINY flakes were carbon. I told them no, carbon is flat black and crusty. This was shiny, smooth, and just flakes. I showed them the photos and they again wanted to argue. they agreed to send more grates but will each grate last only 1-3 cooking sessions? I told them the so-called porcelain looked more like just shiny black paint that was sprayed on the grates. And they won’t replace the so called porcelain with cast iron or stainless steel. Apparently they will just keep replacing the grates. I asked if they wanted me to ship the old grates back to be examined and they said no that would cost more than the grates. The shipping was only 8+ dollars so that tells us where the problem is. Anyway I had to argue that I could not use the grill and be eating porcelain chips. Time for Home Depot to take a stand here. The infra red concept is good they just ruin the product with cheap grates from china.

May 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm
(46) Joe says:

I got a Commercial series gas grill as a gift in 2008. We only used it in the summer months, cover it when not in use and clean it regularly. The stainless finish is turning colors, the grates and flame tamers are completely rusted and it cooks food unevenly! Replacement parts will cost over $100.00. Not worth it for a $299.00 grill that it is made in China. I’m investing in a Weber Summit! Weber products are well made in America! The Charbroil grates don’t seem to be healthy, I don’t trust them!

May 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(47) joe thomas says:

I agree the commercial series is a Piece of Shat. they lost many many users on the crap they sold. Buy a good Webeer with STAINLESS steel grates. I t will last forever

May 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm
(48) n.qureshi says:

same problem with the grates on the commercial series with 4 burners.i had called the company but told these grills are high maintenance.i will never buy another char broil

May 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm
(49) Dave says:

Rusted grill grates…same story as the rest of you….bummer.

May 29, 2012 at 9:30 am
(50) John Tomaino says:

I believe that Charbroil is using inferior materal. My grill is a moderatly priced grill and the grates went bad after one year. And I took care of them. They are so expensive to replace its atrocious. And since I no longer trust the name Charbroil I will be looking to replace the grates with something else until I put this unit out for trash. Its a shame then Name CharBroil has become a bad name

June 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm
(51) Tony says:

I have the Commercial Series, model 463240904 as well. My problem is a little more unique than what I’ve read here dating back to 2009. I keep my grill covered and have taken good care of it. The grates are just fine after about 4 years now- seriously. My problem is that the BURNERS seem to have crapped out. They no longer emit a consistent flame and make me constantly move the food around for even cooking…….but it never works. Best price for new burners are $22.92 (grill-parts.com), but Char Broil is the only place I can find the Valve-Hose-Regulator part for a whopping $129.99!! Umm….not knowing what the true problem is, that’s roughly $199 in parts which is just over a 3rd of the price of the grill………I don’t think so.

July 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm
(52) Cindy says:

I have been searching the internet for solutions to this same problem. My Char-Broil Stainless Grill is less than two years old. I clean it after EVERY use. I store it in my garage. The grill grates are flaking off in huge chunks no matter how much I scrub it. It sticks to food…even though I use olive oil and/or Pam Grilling Spray. It really is ridiculous to pay the price I did and have this happen. :(

July 25, 2012 at 9:27 am
(53) John says:

I am so glad I came across this site, I was ready to purchase new stainless steel grates for my commercial series grill. The Grates from char broil carry a life time warrenty and they will replace the grates for free, you have to pay the shipping $8.95. The replacement grates are porcelain coated they no longer use the stainless steel. All this can be done by the web here is the link http://www.charbroil.com/support/case/create/ and if you want to call the customer service number is 1-800-241-7548
Be prepared to send 5 photos and a couple of emails, they want a picture of the grates, pan, over grill and model – series plate. The customer service people seem to be very nice and helpfull, I do feel the Char Broil company stands behind there product and remains a good choice.

August 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm
(54) F.Witkamp says:

Unfortunately, the Char Broil stainless parts appear to be made from inferior Chinese “stainless steel”, at best a 304 grade but maybe much worse. My interior grates upon which one grills the food and where the small holes below diffuse the heat are totally rusted/corroded through after two years. I have been diligent about cleaning the grill and it sits under a CharBroil cover. I also grease the grates liberally prior to use with a food grade oil (Canola or olive). This should not be happening. The grill worked well until the gaping holes appeared. I am told by the folks at Lowe’s that Charbroil wants about $150 for replacement grates; darned near the cost of the entire barbecue grill!

So, in summation, I think there has got to be a better product out there and i wish CharBroil would raise their quality.

November 11, 2012 at 9:18 pm
(55) Dan Dare says:

There’s only one thing that you can do worse than buying a Char Broil grill, and that’s buy one from Lowes

December 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(56) Robert says:

I am so glad I found this comment thread. My char-broil four burner is only 3 years old and it is coming apart like a cheap suit. I sure looks like a good grill, but that is where the positive qualities of this grill stop. The burners have rusted out at the point where they connect to the back wall of the grill. I have looked into replacing the grill with something better. I won’t consider Car-briol again. Until then, I am going to do some home made style repair with a plate of stainless steel and replacement burners. That will keep it going for another season until I buy something from a hearth and grill shop.

December 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(57) Dikster says:

I was looking for replacement grates and came across this site. I must be the lucky one as My grill looks as good today as the day I bought it 5 years ago. All I have done is cleaned the outside with an orange oil based product twice a year and the stainless is perfect. I did purchase a $75 cover on line and it protects the whole grill. It’s a lot to pay for a cover but it does a great job. I have no rusted screws or body rust.
I will be replacing the grates with stainless tube type and it looks like that will be expensive but I’ve bbq’d my last steak on flaky cast iron grids.
Again, it looks like I got lucky with my rust free CB Commercial Series grill.

December 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(58) mark from chgo says:

Quality not improving.
I bought the Charbroil Commercial from Lowes in May 2012. Within two months, and about 5-6 uses, small rust spots started showing up on the stainless steel grates. Also the entire cooking surface showed powdery rust coming from the perforated trays that hold the grates in place. I took the grates and perforated trays to Lowes and they gave me new ones from a floor model with no questions asked. A chemist at work told me that one way for stainless steel to lose its “stainless” property is from intense heat. So I thought I had just let the cook surface heat up too long without food on it. 6 months later, the same rust problem is occurring. I have been more careful to not overheat the grill surface – but now believe that had little to do with the problem after seeing all the related rust problem posts here. I will try to get Charbroil to replace the parts, since the grill is less than a year old – but deeply regret getting rid of the Weber Genesis that I had trouble-free for 10+ years. It had real stainless grates that never gave me any problems. Even if Charbroil service comes through – I will never buy another – because of the poor quality and concern for healthrisk associated with rust in our food.

December 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm
(59) Tpac says:

This site came up when I was googling “charbroil infrared replacement grates”, after reading the comments I’m googling “who has the cheapest prices on weber grills”.

I’ll never spend another dime on Charbroil!

February 11, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(60) d Rogers says:

I have a 5 burner infrared unit. Purchased in August of 2008. I use it frequently and year around. Clean infrequently. The perforated plates have now burnt though and there is some rust visable in the back of the unit just below the cover. At 4 1/2 years it is the longest lasting unit I have ever owned. The only thing I have purchased was a battery for the starter and many tanks of propane. I will be buying another one unless someone can show me better value.

March 7, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(61) Tim says:

I agree with this post. Had the same issue, the stainless steel grates started melting after the second year of use. They made me buy new grates (the new ones are porcelin coated cast iron) and now they are falling apart. Additionally, I have had to replace the entire support piece for the grates (it melted) as well as the igniter twice (poor design; the insulation on the wire flakes off after a season and the bare wire shorts out against the cabinet). It also cooks unevenly and has lots of flame-ups. These Char Broil grills look really nice when new but don’t seem to hold up for very long. I will never buy another (and I’m in the market for a grill right now).

April 3, 2013 at 11:53 am
(62) Dave says:

I’m glad I’m not alone, as much as I regret my purchase! My Commercial Series grill has basically disintegrated. Search Charbroil Quality on Youtube to see my grill. What’s worse is that Charbroil runs their replacement parts operation as a profit center, after producing crappy products to begin with!

April 3, 2013 at 11:59 am
(63) Dave says:

At least I find I’m not alone, although I regret my purchase! My Commercial Series grill has basically disintegrated. Search Charbroil Quality Poor on Youtube to see my grill. What’s worse is that Charbroil runs their replacement parts operation as a profit center, after producing crappy products to begin with!

April 28, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(64) Rick says:

lol, just like everyone else I own the commercial series, too. Last year the grates started to crumble and Charbroil replaced the lifetime burners and the pan. The whole pan rusted away and would not hold the flame covers. Had to completely disassemble the top end and what a task. Can’t believe the parts would not fit exactly as it was new. Because of the offshore parts that I got, decided to try a Weber grate. Got one at Home Depot for the Genesis 300, item number is 7524 (2) piece total length is about 26 inches, I just retrofitted one of my old grates to fill the 31 7/8 length. So far so good. Cost me $64, you can also get the stainless steel grate as an option. Don’t know the quality of weber grate will find out. Just looking at the packaging of the weber, looks like the quality is there. Don’t think I will buy another Charbroil, the next time.

May 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(65) Disappointed says:

What makes this whole issue even worse, I bought on the recommendation of Consumers Report!!!!!!!!!! At least I now know it’s not just my grill, and I definitely will not purchase another Char-Broil.

May 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm
(66) Consumer Sam says:

I have had the same disappointing experience with both my CharBroil “Commercial” Series grills – that’s right, they have fleeced me twice. I cannot fault Lowe’s – the folks there were sympathetic and told me candidly that it is far cheaper to buy replacement parts directly from CharBroil. I previously owned a Weber gas grill that wasn’t perfect, which is why I “upgraded” to CharBroil. Bad move. Within a year my regulator began leaking and started a fire that erupted from all the knob ports. CharBroil would not stand behind their product. I wound up paying a lot for replacement parts. And CB didn’t even have all the parts, so I lost the use of the rear-mounted infrared burner. That grill is still in service although just barely. The other of my two CB grills needed rebuilding last year, which I did at great expense. In doing so I discovered that the firebox was badly rusted. The price of replacing that part would have been astronomical, and the labor required (my own) would be considerable, so I decided not to do it. I will junk that grill when the new burners fail, which shouldn’t be all that long. BTW, any device that contains both stainless steel and carbon steel parts in a moist environment will always self-destruct due to galvanic action (the carbon steel loses that fight). But a grill made of 100% stainless steel would be so expensive that most people couldn’t afford it. The mfrs. could design in some sacrificial aluminum parts that would have no function other than to corrode first, thereby protecting the carbon steel, but they don’t because they want to force you to buy a new grill every few years. Next time I will again buy a Weber grill, which at least offers stainless steel grates. I don’t believe any aftermarket source offers SS grates that will fit CharBroil at the present time.

May 11, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(67) JimL says:

My experience is no different from anyone else posting here. I have the Charbroil Designer Series grill. I have no idea if that is supposed to be better than the Commercial Series. If it is supposed to be better, the porcelain coated cast iron grills flaked and rusted just like the Commercial Series. I have owned this grill for 3 years. It is always covered with a grill cover and stored under a roof over my deck. Unlike some of the posters, I do not have any rust on this grill. However all 3 grates are crumbling to the point where it is not safe to use them anymore. I called Charbroil tonight to see if perhaps my grill was under warranty or they would provide a discount. While the person working Customer Support was nice, she basically said “no” to both – not under warranty and not able to offer a discount. I looked at the Weber grills online, and you cannot get into a nice Weber grill for under $700. I spent about $400 on my Charbroil Designer Series. Since my grill still appears to have 2-3 years of life left, I decided to buy new cast iron replacement grates at grill-parts.com tonight. They offered free shipping and the price was actuate cheaper than buying from Charbroil.

May 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(68) Consumer Sam says:

I stand corrected. The vendor that JimL found, grill-parts.com, does offer stainless steel grates for many CharBroil models. They are not cheap but should last longer than cast iron grates. If your model is not listed measure your grill carefully; you may still be able to fit grates that are slightly different in size. This vendor offers free shipping on orders > $25. JimL also correctly pointed out that Weber grills cost somewhat more than similar-sized grills from CB and others. In my lifetime I have owned maybe seven gas grills of various brands. Sooner or later they all fail, unfortunately. Good luck to all you grillers.

May 13, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(69) ScottB says:

Wow. Same story except more. I too had the 4 burner “commercial” and after only about 2 to 3 yrs not only were the grates rusted out but the entire grill was all to H*** and falling apart. I was surprised that a Commercial Stainless Steel grill would disintegrate is such a short time. And replacement parts were as much as a new grill. So I jumped on the new Quantum Infrared Commercial series. Decided or smaller footprint and 2 burner. Well here I am another 2 yrs later (yes 2 commercial series grills in 5 yrs) looking for replacement grates even though the brackets that hold them are also rusted and broken and are part of the main housing. BTW I do grill a lot but keep oiled and covered and cleaned so taken care of them both. Anyway found this site and lo and behold ALL these same stories. I saw an awesome looking Weber with all great reviews at Home Depot online. Guess I will be putting the $80 I was about to fork out for more bad china made grates for a POS grill toward that baby now!

May 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(70) Jim P says:

These Char Broil commercial gas grills are junk, junk, junk, junk, junk! Did I mention that they are junk! I think they are made of stainless painted rust to start with.

May 28, 2013 at 10:17 am
(71) Mike Gaudreau says:

I believe every word. I own a ya right “Commercial” Model 463247209 and the fire box, “Stainles Steel “foil” cooking grates and flame carryover tubes have all disintegrated. So for a small sum of $385 I can fix the Big Bad Commercial JUNK. Don’t spend another dime.

June 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(72) Jon says:

Had mine for about 3 years and the grates are totally rusted through. Everything else is great. Grates are not under warranty, so I will never buy another char broil and will go back to weber or try kitchen aid or jenn air. These thing should last at least 5 years before needing any parts. Junk.

June 18, 2013 at 9:38 am
(73) Bismarck says:

After reading all these comments, I feel apathy. My grates on my 6 yr old Commercial Series are rusted, the burners are tearing about from the main frame and I think it’s well worth the investment for a Spirit or Genesis Weber that will last for 20 years to go along with my Q, kettle and Smokey Joe

June 20, 2013 at 12:42 am
(74) CRAP-Broil says:

“DITTO” – “DITTO” – “DITTO” I have had my “Commercial” series for about 3 years. just like everyone has said here, I cleaned the cooking grates regular and keep my grill covered. I took the grates (which are aggravating to remove and clean anyway) out this afternoon to clean. I started scrubbing them with a brush and one of them broke through with rust. “IF” this were an “actual” “Commercial” series stainless steel grill, that would never have happened. I also noticed about a year ago that the right side shelf is not stainless either. It is just painted to look like stainless because it started coming off when i cleaned it with some cleaner. So after the rust broke through when I was cleaning the cooking grate tray, my grill caught on fire tonight after cooking burgers! So much for this piece of CRAP. I am getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan in 5 days and don’t really have time to get it fixed or return to Lowes. Uggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

June 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(75) Dennis says:

I just called customer service and my grates were JUNK and were rusted out and they are shipping them out as we speak…. cost 8.95 only (shipping). amazing as I did not season the grates as I should have,, I am thoroughly impressed with Charbroil

June 25, 2013 at 2:37 am
(76) Rich says:

I have had my charbroil for over 10 years and my grates are just fine but I do need to replace my flame tamer and my knobs are fading.
I clean my grill once a year from top to bottom.

June 25, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(77) DomD says:

I have a charbroil commercial infrared and the grates fell apart. they are impossible to clean… 400+ for 2 years. I would have been better buying 6 – $79 units. Just junk

July 22, 2013 at 1:35 am
(78) English teacher says:

Well, if you are actually employed by Char Broil that explains the quality of my grill that is rusting and turning into sand, as an avid grilled who takes care of their grill. The quality is about the same as your writing skills, “I” is capitalized. After 2 years it is totally worthless!

August 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm
(79) MAtt Horn says:

Wanted to add my experience to this site. I bought a commercial series grill from lowes sometime around 2005 or 06, model # 463251605. Three burner main with a side 4 th burner. On the inside, i have the same problems noted repeatedly here, grates flaking apart, burners split apart, basically the guts of the grill are shot. However, unlike some of the other folks, my grill exterior has never rusted and is in decent shape for a grill of its age. Definately some discoloration but no exterior rust. I have always covered it but it remains outside year round. The cast iron burners are shot to the point where the flame only comes out of one end of the burner tube. The grill grate has long been deteriorating and flaking off chunks of metal. I called Char broil custom service and they could not have been more helpful. They are replacing the burners and grill grate under the 10 year warranty for free. I did end up buying a new crossover tube for $29.00 because it was out of warranty. The burners are on backorder for another month so I haven’t received anything yet. However, they thanked me several times for being a char broil customer. I received three emails detailing the parts I would receive and asking me to take a survey. While I’m not thrilled about having to replace these parts, I do feel charbroil has done about everything they should to honor their product.

September 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm
(80) Steve J says:

I also wanted to add my experience to this site. I bought a commercial series grill from Lowes in 2005 model # 463251705. Four burner main with a side 5th burner on the side, I never had an major exterior rust issues however the burner brace needed to be replaced 3 times in 8 years, the parts was $19.99, so no big deal. As for the burners, I have gone through a few sets and never had an issue with getting them replaced under warranty, I just had to pay for shipping. The original grates were stainless steel and loved them. After 8 years of heavy usage I finally needed to replace them because they started to rust and crack apart. I called up and ordered replacement grill grates for $104 dollars; received the parts today and see they are porcelain, which I was not happy with. I called customer service immediately and asked them why they did not ship the stainless steel version. Seems they donít make them anymore in the 18 ½ x 10 ½ size stainless for my model now however the representative tried to search for any original ones. Another important thing I found out for my model was the grates are covered lifetime warranty so I was refunded the $104 dollars, and she said if you have issues with the new porcelain grates, just call up and order another set under warranty. I will see how cooking on the porcelain go, for health reasons I stayed away from porcelain. If anyone knows where I can get the original18 ½ x 10 ½ size stainless grates for a reasonable price, let me know. Thanks

October 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(81) Gil S says:

I too, am very disappointed with the grates and other hardware on the Char Broil Commercial labeled grills. One of the thermometers failed in 3 months and they ONLY charged me $10.00 for this warranty replacement. A great warranty! I replaced the rusted out super “infrared” grates with a $8.00 generic open replacement grill and it works fine……First and last Char Broil purchase.

A word on the Chinese, They build crap if you specify crap, or they can build products of the highest quality if you specify that. Obviously Char Broil spec’d crap.

February 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm
(82) Fred says:

My firebox rusted apart after 2 years and also the infrared grates.
I was stupid enough to believe it said on the emblem commercial model, so I thought it was quality but sad to say it was dime store quality.
I will not ever never buy another char broil.

February 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm
(83) Fred says:

I too am very disappointed in the cheap quality and flimsiness of this commercial series with infrared.
the burners rusted out in no time and the fire box had to be scabbed on by extra metal to keep it from totally falling apart.
It was purchased in December of 2008.
If I had known I could have totally rebuilt my old cast aluminum grill I had for 11 years.

February 7, 2014 at 7:33 pm
(84) Andy says:

I also bought a charbroil infrared commercial series grill. Same problem as everyone else. I have a weber kettle grill has been out in the weather for 5 years no rust or any other issues. Still use it every weekend. Wanted to buy a weber just was not in the budget. The charbroil lasted 7 months. That was a waste of my hard earned money. Never again. Weber or something commercial next time will save up to buy a real grill. If you are considering a charbroil save up and buy a real grill. Charbroil is JUNK, JUNK flat out a piece of SH_T

March 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm
(85) Ben says:

I disagree with your comments. I have cleaned my grill after each use, kept it covered and have had to literally replace every part in the interior of the grill. EVERYTHING. Now the grates have rusted and it is too expensive to replace those too. So I will definitely NOT buy another Char Broil grill. Besides that, if that is the tone and attitude you take with customers that call you. I will not buy another grill from them as well.

April 2, 2014 at 2:53 pm
(86) Johnny says:

Got an infra red three burner with side burner from Wally World 3 years ago. Corrugated SS burner surface with slots. Just replaced with new set of OEM looking ones found on Amazon. Made by Music City Metals. Amazon price about 1/3 of CB replacement. I use the grill all year, sometimes in 1 or 2 feet of snow. I seldom remember to re-oil after each use. Considering how hard I use it and how little I maintain it, I don’t think a 3 year lifespan for grates is too bad.

April 6, 2014 at 11:57 am
(87) jon says:

Was going to look for new burners etc. (originals have rusted away, hardware as well). After reading 60 plus negative comments on my piece of junk grill, I’ll look for a new brand. At least I don’t feel so alone now!

April 10, 2014 at 6:22 pm
(88) Don P says:

I just rebuilt my 3 burner the Charbroil Commercial Series grill, bought in 2004, Model 463240904.

We use the grill on average of 3 times a week, 47 weeks of the year; live in the Chicago area. Grilling is meat, fish and vegetables, and we use the side burner. The grill is covered with the Artisan Collection cover, on my patio.

I never clean the grill directly after use; grates are cleaned during warm-up. It allows grease to stay on parts and retard rust when not in use. I do a general clean-up of the entire grill every quarter, and use it directly after clean-up. I used the Charbroil Universal Fit Porcelain Heat Plates from day one. Three plates fit perfectly over the burners; keep the burners very clean; allow best heat distribution, and help the food taste better. In 10 years, 3 sets were used.

In 2009, the original ss grates were replaced under warranty. The porcelain covered steel grate replacement is now starting to show wear, and just replaced again, under warranty.

Brass burners (major selling point!) were just replaced, also under warranty, due to warp. Weíll see how the replacement cast iron ones work out, but my guess is that Iíll have a new grill before they go bad.

Several minor problems: 1. Original markings on the control panel came off after I used ss cleaner. 2. Spot welds on a side panel broke, 3 sheet metal screws fixed this. 3. The pull-out grease tray developed a hole on the metal ramp that flows to the grease cup. I covered the entire ramp with a piece of ss, and more heat is now reflected up into the cooking area. 4. The concentrator box over the main igniter electrode fell apart; I used a piece of formed ss to replace it.

Some parts of the grill bottom housing are starting to deteriorate because of electrolysis. The exterior of the grill is in great shape; many guests believe it is 2 years old. 10 year direct expenses under $85; includes freight costs for the parts under warranty, and a new cover.