1. Food

wtrmnky Writes:

"I don't hear much conversation regarding smoking tri-tips; is it not advised to do so? What would be a good smoke time per lb. for a tri-tip"

Comments

April 4, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(1) Scott says:

Smoked Tri-Tip is fantasctic. A 2.5 to 3 pound trip between 2 to 3 hours. And keep the temp between 225 and 250.

There are a thousand different ways to cook it, but I found smoking the Tri-tip to be the best method.

Do not trim the fat off the meat and leave the fat cap on and facing up durring the entire cooking process. It will render down and when you want to trim it after, it peals right off.

I Brine my Tri-Tip for a couple of days. It really gives a nice subtle flavor with out masking the true flavor of the meat.

May 10, 2008 at 9:37 pm
(2) Eric E says:

thanks, helpfull but i have a bumb(there are no bumb questions’) question. Do i wrap the tri in foil or no….

August 23, 2008 at 11:06 am
(3) Rm says:

I smoke tri tip with seasoning , salt garlic powder.and to make it sweet I use brown sugar as a rub and I let it sit for about 4-5 hours.

May 31, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(4) ENOUGH! says:

Firstly, Eric E is here for merely for cooking tips. That is the advantage of this website. He is not here for spelling tips and pettiness Eric dumb. Furthermore, as you chose to take it to such a petty level “Me” did it also.

Now, I am here for cooking tips. HOWEVER as you two decided to ruin a lovely comments board and I am in NO MOOD for this, I am obligated to say STOP IT! You and your kind annoyed the rest of us seeking helpful hints. You BOTH have egregious errors in syntax and grammar. Eric dumb you have spelling errors when you attempt to correct spelling. “Me” you accuse Eric E when you should be chastising Eric dumb! Are you even paying attention? You both continually use “…” when a simple period “.” would do. Do you even know for what instance the application of the “…” would be? I am not a great cook and I found Eric E’s question valid and congruent with my own. Thank you Eric E in spite of these two dilettantes.

For the rest of my fellow cooking enthusiasts, pardon my ranting and thank you for you tolerance.

June 28, 2009 at 11:32 pm
(5) Not so dumb says:

Ok Angry students…lets talk TRI TIP. I have smoked meat for 5+ years. I am not an expert. Eric had a good question about foil and lets leave it there. Tri tip is a bitch to get right. I suggest a rub first of fresh cracked black pepper if nothing else. Let the meat sit 24 hours to let the pepper or your choice of rub to set into the skin. I prefer to smoke with Hickory and Mesquite but some smoke with jack daniel chip wood found at grocer. I don’t suggest you use any more than a good hour of these kinds of smoke on tri tip as they are the heaviest. Taste good used right!

Now- you can use APPLE, CHERRY or another wood if you want to change you recipe but be prepared to use more wood to get the flavor in your meat. DON’T USE ALDER ON BEEF! YUCK!

For tri tip I trim BULK fat off. Not too much though. You want a nice thick layer of fat top side up before you smoke or you will get DRY MEAT. Put the smoker on 235-240, place your well seasoned tri tip fat side up for about an hour and fifteen per pound. If you use a water bowl make sure its filled because it adds to the sweating (secretion) of the meat. Adding apples or filling your water bowl with apple cider adds a faint apple flavor to the meat my daddy told me. I tried it and you can taste a hint of flavor if you don’t smoke cigarettes as a habit. :-)

October 16, 2009 at 2:18 pm
(6) david says:

I took off 98% of the fat, used a big green egg smoker and their big green egg wood charcoal.

October 16, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(7) david says:

Added apple wood blocks and some mesquite chips, that had been soaked 24 hours. Oh the meat I put on a brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion salt, and some other premade rubs let it sit 24 hours in frig. Did 2 3lb whole tri tip roasts 3-4 hours till 135 degree internal temp. Let sit 25 minutes, then made some awesome tri tip steak sandwiches. Was medium well. I like a little pink not quite medium rare. Keeping fat on it, is interesting idea, but for a smoker, I thought messy and grilling might be better for the fat. DEBATABLE, and willing to defer to others on what to do with all that fat!

August 24, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(8) Doug McCormick says:

We are having a party and I will be serving smoked pork ribs and tri-tip. I put the ribs in the smoker for 6 hours at 200 degrees (3 hrs un-wrapped. 2 hrs wrapped and 1 hr unwrapped). They always come out moist and tender. I was hoping to be able to add in the tri-tip with about 2-3 hours left on the rib time so everything can come off at the same time. However, your recommendation is 225-250 deg. Is that going to be a big problem for me? This is my first crack at tri-tip in the smoker. I would appreciate any suggestions.

September 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(9) Bill Van Riper says:

Brining works wonders for Tri tip. Try adding assorted spicy and regular peppers with onions celery and garlic to a blender and grind them into the salty-brown sugar brine. Smoke for 2 hours approx @ 240 = – 20 degrees . Immediately wrap in foil for at least 20 minutes. Your family or guests won’t leave the table until its all gone! Use 1cup salt and dark brown sugar for 5-6 Qts water and refrigerate for 5-24 hours. Rinse and soak in clean waterfor 10 minutes (especially if you brine a full 24 hours)

October 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(10) Brian Elton says:

I rigged up a motorized spit on my Big Green Egg.

I cut the tri-tip into about 3 nice size chunks about 3″ wide.

I leave all the fat on the meat.

I roll the meat into a “C” shape and slap it on the spit.

I then liberally coat the meat in sea salt chunks and cook over the open flame for right at about 50 minutes.

Take it off and serve and eat hot!

This technique is taken from the Brazilians and is known as picanha. By leaving the fat on and rotating the meat, the meat is being constantly flavored and moisturized by the fat.

Every time I cook this for friends and family, they say its the best steak they have ever had!

February 2, 2013 at 8:07 am
(11) Chongo says:

Dam i was just looking around to make sure i was doing my tri tip right ….. now im gonna have to take the next couple o’ weekends to try out these suggestions TY TY!

May 5, 2013 at 1:52 am
(12) Terry says:

Okay, how about bulk smoking in a non commercial smoker? I am planning on cooking Tri Tip for my daughters wedding later this month. I need to smoke about 25 pounds of Tri Tip. I am guessing this is going to add time to the normal 3 hours to smoke it. About how long do you think it might take? I will be using a CharBroil vertical smoker. I have one day before the wedding to get this going so, hoping it doesn’t take more than a day to cook all of it. I read on another blog where a guy did a 25 pound roast over night.. so am guessing that’s like either 8 to 12 hours. Thoughts?

August 28, 2013 at 12:20 pm
(13) Teresa B says:

TerrI, I’ve been looking for that answer too. We are planning on smoking a 17 pd tri tip and not sure for how long.. I’m guessing 8 hrs or less.. not to many people smoke that big of a piece of meat.. by the way how did yours turn out?

September 5, 2013 at 11:40 pm
(14) Bob says:

I think the best way to prepare picanha is the Brazilian way. Starting with the wider end, with the fat cap on, cut the piece into 4 inch wide strips. Then fold the meaty side together, leaving the fat cap as a cover and skewer the piece in that form. It will look like a “u”. Cover it with sea salt and grill it over lump charcoal. Slice thin pieces of each side as it grills and add more salt to taste. This is not a dish served as a complete entrée. It’s a picking type food. The folks hanging around the pit get the meat. Look at some photos under “PIcanha” sooooooo tender in thin slices. MAX medium. Med Rare is best. Regardless of how you prepare it, enjoy it. It’s a great cut of meat.