1. Food

smoker71 Writes:

"A friend of mine was getting rid of an old Oklahoma Joes vertical smoker w/ offset fire box. I was looking for parts for it but cant even find them online. It needs a little tlc but over all is in great condition, great heavy duty construction. Not sure on the airflow, it seems to have a lot of tar build up inside. Anyway if anyone knows the history of Oklahoma Joe or knows where I can get parts that would be great. Heck any info would be appreiciated. There may be a reason they aren't around anymore?"

Answer

Comments

August 31, 2006 at 2:00 pm
(1) Rob says:

Check with Char-Broil. They bought out OK Joe and moved it all from TX to GA.
Parent company is AC Bradley.

May 21, 2007 at 11:40 pm
(2) MasterChef says:

Oklahoma Joe’s was sold to the company that made New Braunfels smokers and then ultimately to Brinkman.

The same original smokers are available at Horizon Smokers – http://horizonbbqsmokers.com/aboutus.html . Parts too.

February 19, 2011 at 9:25 am
(3) Matt Hilton says:

Thank you so much for this valuable information. For quite some time, I have been looking for cooking grates for my old (but trusty) Oklahoma Joe grill to no avail. This link is exactly what I needed. I just wanted you to know that 4 years after your post, it is still helping folks. Thanks!

May 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(4) Mark says:

I know this article was a long time ago ,but i still have an vertical wood roasting oven by ok joes and have parts list and assembly instructions if you may be interested in a copy . the thing still works great!

July 21, 2011 at 9:23 am
(5) Don says:

where can I buy the charcoal grares at ?

October 1, 2008 at 11:11 pm
(6) Skews-me- bbq says:

Rob and Masterchef are both correct,your on your own.The good news is you bought a very well built smoker.The build up of tar is normal,its part of the flavor.I own two and found out that you have to customize them to your personal needs.Get to know your local welder and have fun with it.

August 21, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(7) Mark says:

check this website. The owner of this company started Oklahoma Joe’s Smokers.

May 21, 2012 at 9:49 am
(8) Phil BYers says:

Looking for replacement parts to an old Oklahoma Joe. Any idea as to where i can locate a company that seels them?

May 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm
(9) Stacy Garcia says:

Thank you so much for this information. Our OK Joe’s grill is about 20 years old and outside of needing some new grates, far beats anything else in the market. We have never wanted to give up our trusty grill for anything less that what it can deliver. We will be contacting Horizon Smokers for possible replacement grates but I have a feeling that Horizon will be making our next grill.

May 25, 2013 at 9:08 am
(10) Winston says:

Where can I buy a Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Smoker?

September 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(11) John says:

My neighbor gave me an OK – Joe’s smoker about 6-7 years after he bought it. He now has a much larger “custom made” smoker.

Anyway, when he bought it, I broke it in for him. Now that I have it I have a lot of work to do to get it back in shape. I have scrapped off a lot of tar, and where there is no tar, there is rust. So…I am going to brush off all of the rust, give a good coat of peanut oil, and start smoking to re-season the inside. Same with the racks…brush off the rust, coat with oil and let it smoke.

Then, I will work the outside with some touch up rust brushing and then a new coat of “heat resistant” paint…There you have it..,My Plan.

October 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm
(12) michael goodroad says:

i bought an oklahoma joes smoker for 500.00 at lowes.this smoker leaks around the door very badly,also i had to modify the smoke hole to get it to cook right.I am very dissapointed.does anyone no how to reach the oklahoma joes people?or any ideas on how to seal ALL the leaks???

October 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(13) RPG says:

I have used foil around the edges as a sort of gasket if you will. It helped stop the smoke leak from the door and is removed and thrown away at the end. The main issue I had was when I opened up the door I had to be careful to not let the foil fall every time. That was a bit of a pain, but in the end the ribs were still amazing.

March 16, 2014 at 1:33 pm
(14) Chris Patton says:

I have both the offset and the vertical. I recently put a new firebox on the vertical cause it was in bad shape. I had to fab most of the parts myself. I did find alot of aftermarket parts by searching the web. Gasgets to seal all the doors was the best investment, helps sustain temp. better cooking times etc. If you are at all handy, most of any repair you can do yourself. Good luck and get to smokin!!

April 17, 2014 at 4:38 pm
(15) Dennis says:

The best way to fix a leaky smoker door, or for that matter any smoker door, pick up some high temperature silicone caulk at the hardware store.

Clean the door and frame; spread a bead of caulk onto the barrel and place wax paper over it and close the door. Leave the door closed until caulk has set (see caulk instructions). The wax paper will keep the door from sticking shut.

Good luck.