1. Food

MonteV Writes:

"Has anyone tried smoking chicken wings? I tried some yesterday in my Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series LP smoker. The way I did it was I washed the wings with water and applied a dry chicken rub, 2 hours @ 250 degrees. The meat itself came out great....moist, fall off the bone with a really good flavor. The problem was that the skin was really tough. What do you think I should have done different? Higher temp for less time? Lower temp for more time? Or maybe oiled the wings first and then applied the rub? Or something else?"

Comments

August 29, 2006 at 3:18 pm
(1) Mike says:

I cover the wings with oil when I do it. I smoke them for 3.5 hours at about 225. They are great, falling off the bone and the skin is still tender. Good luck

April 14, 2007 at 3:25 pm
(2) Steve says:

Turn the wings as you smoke them… not too much, just every now and then.. about when you check your temperature. Also if you have any sugar at all in your rub (which includes honey, molasses, bbq sauce, ect.) this will cause the skin to burn.. thus making it tough. You can still apply things with sugar, but not until you have no more than an hour left of cooking time. Hope this helps

June 10, 2007 at 4:20 pm
(3) ray gonzales says:

If you use a dry rub on the wings you will need to use some oil. Putting on the oil at a later time 1 hr. after smoking has started. I use a lite oil and then spray with apple cider or juice the skin will stay tender.

June 27, 2007 at 9:52 am
(4) GP says:

Try using a water pan just below the wings. You can add lemons, oranges , or cloves to flavor the water, and the evaporating water will rise up over the wings keeping them moist !!

August 3, 2008 at 9:23 am
(5) Oscar says:

The toughness is more of a rubber chewy texture, just as you can get when smoking a whole chicken. Oil works great, and if you throw the wings on a gril for 5 minutes before consuming it makes the skin crispy, not chewy….

December 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm
(6) Jason says:

Seal the wings in a foil pouch with a liberal amount of sauce. Toss the pouch back on the cooker for another hour. The sauce will keep the meat from cooking further, and your skin will be tender and juicy. Enjoy!

June 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm
(7) Ricky says:

I marinate my wings over nite. it’s easy 1 qt. apple juice, 1/2c. sugar,1/2c. salt (kosher) 1TBsp. basil, 1Tbsp.rosemary.next morning rinse off. smoke at 200 deg. for about 4 hr.s exellent try on (drumsticks) also 5hrs.

July 29, 2009 at 2:35 pm
(8) Tom says:

I smoke the chicken wing drumsticks which have more meat. I do it at 225 degrees and smoke with Hickory for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I also brine and use a chicken rub. It turns out great.

January 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm
(9) Adam says:

I just smoked 10#’s of wings for NYE and they turned out amazing. I brined the wings and drummies for around 4 hrs and coated them with a hot wings rub and place in the fridge over night. I then smoked at 225 for about 2 hrs using a mix of apple and hickory. From there I placed them in the broiler to crisp the skin and then tossed in a light amount of my favorite wing sauce. Dont wanna get too heavy of a sauce coat or the smoke flavor gets drowned out. I received countless amounts of compliments at the party and the wings were devoured. I also noticed that letting them sit after being tossed for a few hours and then reheat in the oven made the texture and flavor even better than after the original toss is hot sauce so these can certainly be done several hours before consumption.

brine was a mix of apple juice, water, kosher salt, sugar, onion powder, rosemary, tarragon. Used an electric wet smoker…I suggest trying these as they are amazing!

March 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm
(10) kelly says:

I dry season mine and smoke them at about 200 for 2 hours. After that i stick them in a foil pan and cover them and put them in the oven for about half an hour on warm. What this does is create some moisture inside the foil and it softens up the skins so they arent so tough.

March 20, 2011 at 11:33 am
(11) dave says:

to get your skin crispy, finish the wings in the oven and bake the skin to a crisp. The slow cook and low heat is not enough to finish the skin. Then you will have perfection. Been there done that.

May 22, 2011 at 12:42 am
(12) matt corbin says:

i just bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker from Sam’s… i bought 26 full wings and applied Emeril’s chicken rub and let them sit for an hour… put the smoker on 220F preheat… added the wings to the racks and worked in 2 cups of Stubbs chip mixture and set cook time for 3 hours… i also put some apple cider vinegar with water in the moisture pan… pulled them out and put in 2 pans and broiled them in the oven (skin side up) for 4 minutes to give the skin a quick crisping… didn’t need any sauce… they were freaking fantastic…. i’m a “green horn”… it was my maiden voyage… tomorrow it’s 3 racks of babyback ribs…

May 29, 2011 at 10:41 am
(13) Jim says:

My plan is to brine, smoke in the BGE at 225-250 for about 2 hours, pull the wings off then crank the first up to 500 degrees, put the wings back on to crisp the skin. Then toss in sauce and enjoy!

June 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(14) Pete says:

I made five pounds of wings and did the following.
-Dry Rub 12 hours before with standard rub
-Rubbed again right before smoking
-Smoked 2 hours with hickory turning once
-Deep fried for 1.5-2 min just before serving.

The fryer really crisped the skins and the rub gave it a sweet/hot flavor that was fantastic. I didn’t add a sauce and was not disappointed.

March 9, 2012 at 6:33 am
(15) RP says:

I prefer using the wing drumettes. Also, I like to cook them at a higher temp, say around 275 degrees. I also use a side firebox so the chicken is never over direct flame or coals. I like Hickory the best so I use a combination of Hickory coals and chips -soaked in a foil pan, then placing the pan in the firebox next to the coals. I wet the wings down, then apply a rub. I’ve tried many and my favorite is a simple mix of salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. I’ve tried oil, olive oil, apple juice/lemon/coke mixture, you name it in order to keep skin from getting that rubbery texture. After many experiments, I’ve found that a light vinegar based bbq sauce works best. Like Scotts for example. I use a basting mop and freguently pat down the wings with sauce, just enough to keep them slightly moist. Because I tend to turn and baste my wings a lot, this increases cooking time and also the reason that I like to cook at 275. I usually cook 3 to 4 dozen drummettes at time and cooking time is usually close to 3 hours. Sometimes I’ll finish off half of drummettes on the gas grill, just a minute per side on med heat. The others, I’ll wrap in foil and place in the oven for 30 mins, low heat like 200 degrees. Then based on who wants what, you can add your favorite wing sauce or have them without a sauce. Either way, they tend to come out great and I’m constantly doing wings for friends/family. However, I think the trick to a awesome smoked wing is to cook them a day before you actually serve them. Wrapping them up in foil overnite in the fridge, the slowly reheating them the next day just brings out extra flavors and tenderness. This a good time to use apple juice as I lightly sprinkle them with apple juice/watered down, then re-wrap the foil around them… 45 mins to an hour at 200. mmmm

March 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(16) Don Parkhill says:

Some good comments here. I have found that if I smoke them for 2 hours, I then take them and put them in a foil pan and put the sauce on them at that time and let them smoke for another hour. I generally will be smoking ribs when I do wings. I let the ribs go for three hours, then put my wings in. At that time, I will foil my ribs for two hours. At that time, it’s time to take off the foil from the ribs, so that’s when I will put the wings in the sauce. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, supposed to be warm here on Sunday and this is actually what I will do!!!!

September 2, 2012 at 4:58 am
(17) jimmie says:

I usually spice rub, par bake under foil, and then grill to crisp up, sauce, and they’re good to go .NOW, I’ve bought this smoker and I feel like some kind of MAD scientist, willing to smoke ANYTHING.(sorry Mom and Dad). Any good tips out there?

December 31, 2012 at 7:28 am
(18) Robb says:

I smoke wings often. The best way to to avoid the tough skin is to crisp the wings on the grill after they’re done on the smoker. Usually, about 2-2.5 hours on the smoker @225 then on the grill directly over the coals for about 2-3 per side. After that I place the wings in a foil pan on the grill to finish them off.

January 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm
(19) richard haltom says:

The way i do mine is load them in a zip lock bag with a bottle of hot sauce ( like Frank’s Red Hot the best)set in the fridge over night, turn a few times. Get up the next day drain and dry rub them ( Robisons BBQ rub is great) place on a baking sheet at 350 degees for one hour, turning once. These are perfect ENJOY

February 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm
(20) Jake says:

These turned out awesome. I marinated the wings at 8 am in a homemade rub and some Morton’s Nature’s Seasoning (home rub was garlic powder, onion powder, hickory smoke salt, carribean jerk seasoning, black pepper and anything else I thought sounded good). Then I added enough olive oil to lightly coat them. I put a layer of heavy foil on my top rack of my MB gas smoker. At 2:30, I lit the smoker and got it to 225*. I put the wings in a pouch of the heavy foil and put them on the top rack on the first foil layer. I kept the temp. at 200*-250* and smoked them using apple and hickory chips for 3 1/2 hours, tuning them occasionally. They were unbelievable. The skin was not the least bit tough. Good luck!

August 1, 2013 at 9:53 am
(21) Mark says:

I’ve got a gas grill so I put Hickory on one side and turn on one burner. I smoke them at 225 for 3hrs. The prep is rub them with salt pepper and oil. They turn out fantastic! For a sauce that will blow everyone away mix mayonnaise, apple cider viniger and tons of black pepper (use half a can). The consistency should be that of heavy cream when you get the ratio correct. It’s called Northern Alabama white sauce. Only use the 3 ingredience above, other recipes online call for all sorts of stuff. Keep it simple and you will be the talk of the town!

August 6, 2013 at 11:46 am
(22) Smokeking says:

This is what I do. Try it and u won’t do it any other way
Take skin off(these are so great u will think it has skin on)
Rinse with cold water shake dry add couple tbsp oil and quarter cup of vinegar with them in a big zip lock bag or bowl and stir shake let sit while u make your rub.
Rub: cup gran cane sugar 2 tbsp sea salt 1tsp cayenne pepper 2tbsp black pepper or white pepper. 1tbsp onion and garlic powder. Now pour vinegar out and shake on very liberally.
Smoke 2hrs at 225 at he mark spray with water lemon vinegar mix then flip and spray again. At two hour mark move a group of wings close to coals or fire box then pull off after a couple minutes doing same to rest to crisp them up a bit. If u have other meat on smoker then just pull them off they will be crispy enough. If u want a sauce I recommend moored and franks reshot mixed with a little of my rub put in it. Toss em and eat em or put em back on for five to ten minutes.
Try this and u won’t eat em any other way!