1. Food

smocinjoe Writes:

"I recently bought a weber A gas grill. I plan on buying a grill cover for it but was taken back by the price of the weber grill cover desingnated for this grill. Is there any do's or dont's about grill covers? Such as covers with felt undersides etc???? This grill will stay outdoors year round."

Comments

April 25, 2006 at 8:40 pm
(1) Mike D says:

Type doesn’t matter. It’s not a car, it’s a grill. The fact that you are getting a cover is all that matters. I just got rid of my grill after 10 years. The whole inside was burnt out, but the outside still looked great because I always kept it covered. And not an expensive cover – just a vinyl unlined. Weber is a rip off on everything – highly overrated I think. I’m not surprised they are raping you for the cover too. Check with Sears, Home Depot or on line. May be a weber compatible model available thats cheaper.

May 8, 2006 at 8:12 am
(2) Teresa says:

my experience with felt lined covers kept outside is that mice will take out the lining and make nests with it. I kept hearing noises out on the deck at night and it was the mice tearing out the felt

May 11, 2006 at 10:51 am
(3) Judy says:

I’m with Theresa. I have tried several covers with felt lining and always had them destroyed by mice, squirrels, or other unknown critters. Get the unlined and don’t put it on until the grill is completely cold.

May 18, 2006 at 10:46 am
(4) Jeff says:

I’ve got the weber genesis silver A as well. unfortunately it’s a little bit underpowered, although I understand the new ones are now 26,000 BTU’s (mine is 22,000 BTU’s). I got the weber cover for it, and yes it’s expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is extremely heavy duty, and can be left outside all year round, for years. I live in Canada, and it stays out all winter long. So, if you plan on keeping the grill for at least 5 years or more, get the cover.

July 15, 2006 at 7:44 am
(5) Charles says:

I’ve bought the cheaper ($30;no liner)grill covers from the likes of Lowes and Home Depot. I had to replace them every year until I bought the more expensive ($50)heavy duty grill cover, with liner and I’ve had it for two years now. You decide!

August 29, 2007 at 7:00 pm
(6) Mels says:

We make one ofthe best covers on the market come check us out http://www.mels-bbq-covers.com

July 5, 2008 at 9:28 pm
(7) Bill says:

Gee, Mel. Looks like you have it covered…….

January 25, 2009 at 8:19 pm
(8) Kathy G says:

I bought a weber cover for my new Summit 650 grill. Big mistake! The cover has vent holes in the top of the side tables. My beautiful stainless steel grill gets all wet and dirty, covered, and now that’s it’s winter, the side tables are covered in ice and snow! (Plus I’m not crazy about the grill. It looks much better than it really is. It cooks very uneven.) The cover also freezes to the sides, because the water drips down the sides! I’ve had it for three months now, and the top has a bunch of little holes where the screws are on the top of the grill cover! And for all this, I paid top dollar!!!!! Weber said the covers weren’t made to be weather proof! They are more of a “dust” cover! Unbelieveable…..go get a cheap one, without any felt on the inside. The mice will steal the felt. And should you get a tiny hole in it, the felt will sop up the water, then freeze the cover to the grill. Been there. You end up ripping the cover more and more every time you taking it off.

February 15, 2009 at 11:33 pm
(9) Scott says:

I live in Northern Virginia and bought one of Mel’s cover last spring. It is incredible..made in USA and of super heavy duty, high quality vinyl. I am so happy I won’t waste 30 bucks every year for a Home Depot or Lowe’s made in China cheap cover that breaks open with the slightest wind.

April 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm
(10) Tom B. says:

When I got my new grill I also bought a lined waterproof, very heavy duty, universal cover. Bad purchase! 1. Heavy and stiff – it takes two men and a boy to get the thing on and off. 2. Yeah, its waterproof but the seams leak and it sweats like a pig – the grill is aways damp inside.
Now I’m looking for a cover that is A)much lighter, B)Fits better, and most important, has C) Breathable Fabric (which is unlined)so that condensation has a way to get out. I’ve seen several on the Net in the $50 – $80 range. I’m off to finish my shopping.

April 22, 2009 at 8:54 am
(11) Kevin says:

Scott from NoVa…. What is the materiala like? Lined or unlined? I went to Mels site but did not get much info?

August 23, 2009 at 11:24 pm
(12) RD says:

I just bought a Weber Summit which is a great grill. The problem is the grill cover that you have to buy for this has vent holes in the top. So much for keeping a clean looking grill. I used to replace grill covers that leaked and now Weber wants me to pay big bucks for a cover the comes with holes. Who has lost their mine here? Get real and get rid of the vents.

November 25, 2009 at 9:58 pm
(13) Sarah says:

Went to Mel’s site – there was very little information about the covers and it is poorly designed (circa 1998).

March 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm
(14) Bobby says:

Went to Mel’s site … I agree with Sarah, very little info, over priced and they charge $14.95 S&H !

March 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm
(15) Todd says:

I just bought a cover from Mels. The cover is really high quality. Heavy duty vinyl. The cover is heavy too, it weighs around 20 pounds. I had a cheap one from HD on last year. Not even a day and it had two rips. It barely lasted 6 months. I would recommend Mels to everyone.

April 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(16) BETTY says:

Trying to find part for my Sedona grill

June 5, 2010 at 12:57 am
(17) brianfennel says:

I recently saw a new company at a Farmer’s Market here in the San Diego area… I ordered a custom made grill cover and it is fabulous! It is not a loose baggy style at all… it is very tailored and I had a Golf Design and our name Embroidered on it… because it is made out of Sunbrella fabric it will not fade and can be out in all weather. I got it from Covergrillsetc.com.

June 12, 2010 at 9:24 am
(18) Doona says:

Read alot of BAD reviews of the expensive Weber grill cover – almost bought one before I read the cons – vent holes lets rain in on grill – I bought CharBroil 65″Grill cover and it was only 20.00 at Home Depot – been very happy with it so far.

December 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm
(19) Robert C - Georgia says:

I purchased one of the Mel’s BBQ Covers over a month ago. They charged my card the same day but 5 weeks later and I still don’t have a cover. They do a really bad job returning phone calls. I get an answer once every 3 phone calls and am told “I was just going to call you”. They offer no explanation or apologies for the delay. I wish that I had bought a cover from Amazon instead. Sure, I may have to replace it every year – but Mels price is over $100. I could buy one from Amazon for 5 each of 5 years and come out cheaper. I would avoid Mels BBQ Covers.

December 29, 2011 at 6:04 am
(20) Mel says:

Mel has left the building and started a new company, do to a partner separation Mel started a new company so you can get the GREAT quality and service you have come to except

Mel
Vinyl Coverings by Mel LLC
574-596-7285 cell
574-971-8058 office
574-971-8058 fax
vinylcoverings@aol.com

December 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(21) Papa Tom says:

I have three grill covers purchased from Mel and I am extremely pleased with them. The first two have been in the Texas sun continuously for over four years and are good as new, no stiffness, fading, cracking, staining or anything bad at all. They were all custom made and fit well.

July 17, 2013 at 3:51 pm
(22) Butch Collins says:

Weber grill cover heard nothing but bad reviews,now the two I heard nothing but great reviews with 4 and 5 stars veranda grill cover about $56.00 and ravenna grill cover about $54.00

July 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm
(23) bob says:

covers destroy your burners from the inside out.fact.wax it and forget it..

August 10, 2013 at 6:44 am
(24) Chuck Hurst says:

Weber covers are junk. Heck any grill cover that is used outside all the time is junk. My cover has shrunk around the grill; very hard to take off and put on.

Mel is a troll, stay away. He’s a typical oshammy supporter.

Love,
Chuck

November 10, 2013 at 9:47 am
(25) MEL says:

Mel is a troll, stay away. Hes a typical oshammy supporter. WOW shows how much you know I’m a SHE and ANYONE who has one of my covers knows it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just for starters I’M ALL AMERICAN AND FOR AMERICA and a “troll” well I’m on the shorter side but I would not say I’m a TROLL (: I don’t even own a bridge LOL.

MEL