1. Food

tiger12max Writes:

"I have a friend that smokes cheese and gives it for gifts, he won't tell me how he does this.

I know it must be cold, but is there a special trick? I have never smoked before."

Comments

May 21, 2006 at 2:42 am
(1) chad says:

smoke at about 80 to 120 in spring or fall so the grill stays cool i have a maple tree in my backyard that i dry what falls and use for smoking or you can buy chips brinkman bullet works best and i smoke american cheese but you can do any kind

October 6, 2006 at 4:40 pm
(2) Mark Howell says:

I make my own smoked cheeses for gifts and to enjoy. I use a “Big Chief” smoker (mostly used for smoking fish)
I cut the cheese into 1″x2″x4″ (approx)Pieces. I lay them on the racks, and put into smoker. I use the hickory chips made for the smoker. I use 1 to 2 pans of chips. Watch to make sure the cheese doesn’t drip through the gratings. It is a warm smoke so you have to keep an eye on it. When the first pan of chips quits smoking,(usually around 1/2 hour) replace them with more. Watch it closely. Pull the cheese out when it starts to sag in the grills. I then put them into the freezer to cool them off quickly. I then vaccume pack them in portions of mixed types of cheeses. From there you can freeze them for later use.

April 7, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(3) Craig says:

I use a mini-chief and follow the instructions included EXCEPT:
1. I take a small pan and fill it with ice on the very bottom shelf. This sacrifices the amount of cheese you can smoke at one time but eliminates cooking the cheese.
2. Also, I’ve found that if I let the cheese sit at room temperature for an hour and cut it into bite size it ensures every bite gets a good smoky flavor.
3. Last but certainly not least, you HAVE to let it age for 4-5 days. I do this buy loose packing in a freezer ziplock in the veggie bin in the fridge. Then I vaccuum pack and freeze. The longer you let it age up to about 7-8 days the better and more robust taste.

Craig

May 28, 2008 at 6:08 pm
(4) A. Rodriguez says:

What kind of “friend?” is it that won’t share smokin’ secrets!?!?!?

For best results keep your temp low +/-80 degrees, woods that render lighter/mellow flavored smokes and a firmer type cheese (cheddar,gouda,etc.). You will have to dabble with your smoking time, but for starters try 45-60 minutes. As with all smoking, there are NO constants. There ARE too many variables. Part of the fun is seeing how it (whatever you are smoking) turns out. Good luck.

July 11, 2008 at 11:00 am
(5) kent stuart says:

I USE A BRADLEY SMOKER. I USE TWO 20 MINUTE SESSIONS, AND USE APPLE WOOD. SMOKE BELOW 100 DEG. THIS IS AS GOOD A SMOKED CHEESE AS YOU CAN GET.

November 4, 2008 at 11:30 pm
(6) jimbo says:

I can’t keep a secret. Condition with air first. Short blast of smoke to temper. Rest w/no heat (couple hrs) Then repeat the following until you can’t stand it no more. 30-40 min. smoking at no more than 70F. Rest for couple hrs. Twice is nice. I do chedder/apple, chedder/hickory, and pepperjack/mesquite

August 9, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(7) Ralph says:

Use a cooling rack (for cakes) and place a double thick piece of foil on it, just enough to hold your cheese. Put u=you cheese on it and place that on top of the vent of your smoker… this is a cool smoke coming out the top, put something over that to cover i.e. a cake pan, and follow any of the above suggestions especially the one about double smoking it.

January 30, 2010 at 3:50 pm
(8) Adam L. says:

I find it’s best to let the cheese sit out so it hardens on the outside a bit, Then i freeze it. Then smoke it for 25 mins. Then I put it right back in the freezer for 15 mins. Then smoke it for 15 and leave it out to cool. After you can serve it or put tin the fridge.

May 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm
(9) Dan says:

I make a great cold smoker out of two Little Chief’s. I turn one into a smoke box by taking the guts out and capping the top with a box. Cut a hole in the side of the box, close to the top, and run a dryer hose from the box to the flip door of the other. I duct taped the hose and it works fine. Put your wood in the bottom one (with the box) and cheese in the top one. I set one on the ground and one on a table. The smoke will travel through the dryer tube into the top smoker with the cheese. I’ve done all kinds of cheese, fish, meats, anything you want to cold smoke. I guess you could just use a box on the bottom, if you have a burner, but I like the little Chief, it’s safer.

September 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm
(10) Ted says:

I cut cheese bricks into cracker-size oblongs, fresh from fridge. Using 4 charcoal bricketts and hickory, apple, maple chips combo. I cover my Brinkman smoker grids with cheesecloth to prevent overheating and drip. Heat must be kept below 90F, usually on morning of 60F temp. It only takes 30 minutes, turning cheese bars once after 15 min. I leave the cheese out and covered for a few hours then wrap in wax paper. Great flavor develops after 3-4 days. Use cheddar, colby, mozzarella, gouda, swiss, or any italian type, etc.

November 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm
(11) Rod in Oregon says:

I use a top loader Little Chief smoker and take the rack out.

With the lid off I put two one by one inch by approximately 13 inch lengths of wood and lay them across the open top of the smoker and position the rack on top of this. Position close to legs of rack for more steadiness.

(So now the smoker shell is below and the rack is towered on top).

Lay your cheeses on the the top shelf of the rack then cover the rack with a plastic garbage bag to contain the smoke.

Make a small hole in the top of the sack (about the size of a silver dollar) to allow smoke to escape and proceed with smoking your cheese however you like.

This works best for keeping the cheese at a lower temperature.

January 30, 2013 at 6:05 pm
(12) Larry says:

I made a smoke generator with a soup can and a NEW soldering iron.
Drill a hole in the side of the can at the bottom just big enough to fit the soldering iron. On the opposite side drill a couple small vent holes. Fill the can with dry chips. Cover with foil and put a few slices in the foil. I use the actual smoker as just a smoke chamber. Place the can/iron in the bottom and plug it in. Place the cheese on the racks and let it go. I try to do it on cooler days as to not create too much heat. Takes about 4 hours.

June 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(13) geoffrey says:

I use a smoke hollow vertical smoker with apple pellets…
To maintain temp I do not use propane I use 2 briquettes iplaced on top of my pellets then smoke it for 2 hours. I don’t eat mine until the 4 week its been in the fridge way better I’ve heard of leaving it in there for months and say its delicious… happy snoking