1. Food

JJCamilliere Writes:

"Any suggestions on how to prevent squirrels from chewing through propane hoses? Are there parts available to replace just the hose rather than the hose and all attached fittings. My regulator and valves are fine: the line in between has been chewed to pieces three times."

Comments

June 22, 2006 at 8:39 pm
(1) HAR says:

Some hardware stores carry,or can get, hose protectors that solved this problem for us.They are loose coils of galvanized wire, made for this purpose. They slide over the hose when it is disconnected.For longer hoses, you may need more than one, to protect the entire length.

July 5, 2007 at 2:07 pm
(2) Mike says:

Try Aluminum Duct Tape.

June 27, 2008 at 2:36 pm
(3) Peter Tesh says:

I solved my problem last Year. I tried everything. My squirrels are like Jaws from the James Bond movies! They ate the duc tape as an appitizer. Anyway, I went to a site grillhose.com and haven’t replaced my hose in over a year. This hose is kind of over kill but you can deny it works.

Best of luck,
Pete

August 11, 2008 at 9:52 am
(4) Paul says:

I had this problem with my natural gas grill and I went to http://www.caloreequipment.com and found a great deal on the stainless steel overbraid hose and quick disconnect. They also have these hoses for propane tanks.

August 20, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(5) Alan says:
March 29, 2010 at 12:31 am
(6) Chad says:

I just bought my first grill today and wanted to get some tips on preventive care for my new grill.

I’m thinking of getting some strong tape to wrap on the hoses with the sticky side sticking out, then sprinkling some cayenne pepper on it. Hopefully that’ll keep the critters off.

July 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(7) bill says:

Very easy solution to this.Wrap entire propage grill gasline with aliuminumfoil.WIll cost you a few backs and is easy fix.Critters like bare hose yet dont like the taste of aluminum foil..

February 26, 2013 at 12:06 am
(8) Bonnie says:

Squirrels at the campground where I’m staying have chewed through everything. Wires and battery cable in my truck, LP hoses in my fifth wheel. I have used mothballs, sprayed “Bitter Yuck” on the hoses, etc. Then I decided to just watch the critters for a while and discovered them getting up first thing in the morning and eating some particular mushrooms that made them act really weird. Looked them up and they are hallucinogenic mushrooms. Explains why I saw one squirrel eating a mothball and why nothing works to keep them from eating my house on wheels. Campground gave me permission to put out D-con after they live trapped 30 of the critters on my site alone and the chewing was still going on. It was a good year for squirrels. Now I just need to get everything repaired before I can pull my RV back north.

April 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(9) Brian says:

If your problem is squirrels, don’t bother with the steel coil, they can get in between the loops and kill a hose in no time. Went through 3 hoses last year with the steel coil. Buying steel braided this year. Expect that to work.