1. Food

bdf24 (BDF241) Writes:

"I was at work today and had an idea for making a homemade smoker that I believe would be pretty simple for me. I want one bad and only have two weber kettle grills. But I just spent around $400.00 on fixing our cars, so I'm pretty taped for a while. I know I had an idea a week or so ago for making one with metal from work. But I thought of a better one today and wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think. Here goes.

Seeing as the kettles are good for grilling I still want to incorporate my 18 1/2" kettle in this for the charcoal pit and for the top. I want to build a square box similiar in hieght to the WSM's out of some cheap wood. cutt two big round holes in the top and bottom to set on the bottom of my kettle grill and one to set the cover of the kettle onto. I'll line all of the inside with thin (about 20 thousands thick) stainless steel which I can get from work for about 12 cents a pound. So there will be no wood exposed in the inside. I'll cutt two square holes for the doors, one big one for putting in and taking food out. As well as a smaller size door on the bottom for lighting adding charcoal or wood chips. I also think it would be a good idea to close off the lower air intake vents on the kettle bottom and move them up more on the side so the falling ashes don't plug them up like they do now during long cooks. I could have 3 cooking grates plus a water grate in there. There should be plenty of room. I could also add temp gauges at each grate level by drilling holes. Would'nt take much

What do you think. I have pretty much all the stuff to make this with. Just need to buy the wood and get the steel from work.

I want your opinion. I know I could build it for VERY cheap. I believe the wood on the outside would act as an insulater as well helping to keep a more consistant temp."

Comments

September 20, 2006 at 5:37 pm
(1) Don Vosberg says:

Sounds like you want to add an upper wooden floor box to your weber. I am interested in a homemade smoker, but I am intent on not having the heat source directly inside the smoking chamber. This is what I am considering. An old high school locker. Smokestack at the top with a damper. An inlet at the bottom where the separate firebox attaches its exhaust with flexible heat tubing. I can control the temp with the damper on the locker and the air inlet on the separate firebox. Low and slow temperature in the locker. Stack the racks in the locker anyway I want. Multiple racks.

Cooking time in hours rather in minutes.

January 24, 2007 at 10:29 pm
(2) Tom McCrohan (Australia) says:

Hi,
I made my smoker using the tank from an electric Hot water service that developed a hole and was no longer any good for that purpose.20inches diameter 60 inches high once the top is cut off and rewelded on as a dome with a chimney and baffle plate to control the heat.Uses wood for heat and smoking.
Has four shelves one for the water bucket.
It is a hot smoker at present but with a litte adaptation can be a cold smoker as well.Works great.
cheers,Tom.

July 26, 2008 at 12:37 am
(3) charles says:

I have a 2 door ice box, that would be in front of a convenience store. I would like to convert it into a smoker. Does anybody have any ideas.

January 1, 2009 at 8:27 pm
(4) chipf says:

If you wanna use your lid and bottom from your webers you could always use a 35 gal or 55 gal FOOD GRADE barrel.. The smaller webers fit a 35 gal. barrel and the bigger ones a 55 gal. Just gotta measure your lid and base.
You can usually find good barrels at your local feed store they get soybean oil in them for mixing feed. My local one sells them to me for $5 each.
I just took 2 55 gal ones and cut the tops off them and welded them end to end and added a old 40lb propane tank on the end for a smoke box. All in All it cost me less than 75 bucks. Just scrounging for parts is the most fun.

June 11, 2009 at 4:53 pm
(5) Johnny.K says:

I use to use an old beer belly fridge and it worked awesome’ cause it would hold the heat due to being insulated and a electric hot plate with a old cast iron skillet that I still use today and always will. I find that I can regulate the heat better and the cact iron once hot enough to cause soaked wood to smoke creates the right amount of heated need for any type of smoking needed to be achieved.

June 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(6) Johnny.K says:

Sounds like your on your way to creating a smoker’ that as you use it you can always modify and improve. Everyone needs to start somewhere and I beleive if you build it your self your mind gets a different understanding of how thigs work and the effects of good and bad designs.

September 29, 2010 at 7:16 am
(7) elkmaster101 says:

just finished my walk in smoker i’ll try to remember how i found this page and i’ll poost pictures when i get some

October 11, 2010 at 9:20 am
(8) ChuckO says:

Elkmaster,

I am also working on a walk-in smoker. Do you have photos of yours and any advice. I have a 4 X 6 building that I am insulating and lining with wood. Then I will put in a heating source and a smoke source. I would also like to add a small fan to circulate the air and a humidity device.

February 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(9) DrMugato says:

I found an old barrel, cut it, welded legs onto it an instant smoker. Well it was not that easy, but not to bad. It took me a while but I found some weldable hinges at http://www.Mcfrugal.com

February 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(10) DrMugato says:

Opps… here is the real link

Mcfrugal.com

November 14, 2011 at 5:13 am
(11) Smokey the Biker says:

The plans sound good to me.
There must be a Gazillion ways to make Weber Kettles work and if a guy can do the work then he’s got his smoker.

I always thought that an old, salvaged electric range would work. Just strip out anything that could schmuck-up the flaver and build a burner box into the bottom drawer. Close off the bottom with a sheet of metal and control air flow with the drawer opening.
Now I’m actually going to have to try it.
I’ll get back to ya,
Smokey

August 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm
(12) John says:

I just got a 3 door cooler fom a gas station all stainless.I want to confort it into a propane gas smoker .What do I need to doit?