1. Food

MAYERS246 Writes:

"I am looking for a recipe for the shrimp sauce they use in those Japanese hibachi steak houses. I saw one that basically looked like mayo with soy sauce, that's not what I want. This stuff is sweeter than that. I've heard that you can put french dressing (?) in mayo, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?"

Comments

June 22, 2006 at 8:21 pm
(1) Just Me says:

HEY I THINK THIS IS WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR:
Benihana Japanese Resturant Secret Recipe
2 cups soy sauce
1/3 cup ground roasted sesame seeds
1 cup whipping cream
1 pinch garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard dissolved in 1 teaspoon water

Combine ingredients in blender or food processor and mix together for 15 seconds. Pour mixture and one cup whipping cream into saucepan, stirring over low heat. Sauce may be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days. When re-heating, add 6 tablespoons whipping cream and stir completely before serving.

May 8, 2007 at 6:19 pm
(2) ruben says:

Each restaurants have their own recipe and tweak the sauce by using various methods. Some try to keep their recipe secret.

Depending on the amounts of serving you need, please use your own common sense. Here is one simple recipe you can try.

1. Heavy Mayonnaise (16 ounce)
2. Sugar (5 table spoon, start with that) later taste the mix if not sweet enough add more sugar and mix again.
3. Ketchup (2 table spoon)
4. Peprika (1/2 table spoon)
5. Garlic (1/4 table spoon)
6. Lemon Juice (1/2 ounce or less depending on the taste you like)
7. Melted Butter (about 1/4 pound)

Method :
Put heavy Mayonnaise in a big container, add ketchup, a bit of lemon juice.
Add half of the sugar
Add the other half of the sugar in liquid form. Mix it with water.
Put Butter in a pan, bring it to boil, let it boil for a while
Then Add garlic powder and peprika, continue steering, remove the pan when the mixture turns brown then pour it into the big container
Add ketchup
Now the mixture is ready
Stir continuously, add more water if required to thicken the sauce.
Add additional sugar as desired.
Shrimp Sauce is Ready!

This is not the original Japanese Shrimp Sauce. They are often modified such as (Americanized) to appeal to the people who enjoy it.

Shrimp sauce is too good, but don’t over indulge, its full of FAT!

June 5, 2008 at 6:42 pm
(3) maryjane says:

Iam looking for the same receipe, have been for about 8 months. If you have any luck with the right one let me know. PLEEEASE!!! My husband would be so impressed. I can’t see it having ketchup at all. I’ve heard it called shrimp sauce in N.C. and white sauce in FL.

July 25, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(4) josh says:

I have tried making this before, but thanks Ruben for reposting the basic ingredients. This time I decided I’d mix a few ingredients at a time, little by little, to find a flavor similar to the sauces we have here in TN at places like Wasabi and Sakura. I had no lemon juice so I used some lemon pepper seasoning, and didn’t feel the need for melted butter (not sure how you effectively boil butter without burning anyway). I didn’t measure anything, so not sure how much of each exactly that I used, but here’s the gist of it, no cooking required.

1 cup Mayonnaise
2 tsp Sugar (more or less depending on pref)
1 1/2 tbsp Ketchup
1 1/2 tsp red Sriracha hot chili sauce
1/2 tsp Peprika
1/2 tsp Garlic powder (more or less depending on pref)
1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp black ground pepper
pinch salt

This concoction was thicker than at most places, so you may want to thin it out with a little water. I like it thick. Since all places make their sauces slightly different, try what I did and just slowly add the flavors you think are in it until you get a good combination. For me the pepper is essential, but again, it is different everywhere.

August 25, 2008 at 4:43 pm
(5) saucelover says:

They now sell a Japanese White Sauce in the grocery store in the International section. It is almost as good as you find at a Japanese Steak House, and it is already prepared!

December 28, 2008 at 6:57 pm
(6) Mike says:

Most of the recipies shown above are accurate but one substitute, ketchup substituted with tomatoe paste. Also some jamacian jerk rub/herb never hurts. You ask, why jamacian instead of japanese? Again, as posted above, they have to “americanize” it. How do I know all of this? I know the owners of a Hibachi grill and the cheff, he does it so often he memorizes it and can tell me.

May 19, 2009 at 12:54 am
(7) melanie says:

I’m used to the white shrimp sauce served in places like Fuji. Once I moved away from south carolina, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I just add a little soy sauce to mayo and its great. I put it on shrimp, steak, and rice. Don’t use light mayo, it makes it gross!

June 8, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(8) kent says:

just mix 4 parts ranch dressing and 1 part french….. taste exactly the same….

September 7, 2009 at 10:10 pm
(9) Kimberly says:

So there is no exact recipe. I have always wondered what was in the white sauce at Hiro restaurant in wilmington,nc.

November 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(10) tikidave says:

This is what you all are looking for.

Ingredients

1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, rice vinegar, melted butter, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.

June 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm
(11) Brooke says:

you can buy shrimp sauce at food lion

February 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(12) jOHN smith says:

I wanted a recipe not to buy it somewhere dumbass.

June 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(13) Tom says:

I hope you never find it after that comment.

July 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(14) Kim says:

You can buy it by the pint or quart at Fuji. Around $6 for the pint, $12 for the quart.

October 31, 2010 at 10:22 am
(15) Kirachi says:

try 1,ooo Island dressing…

March 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(16) kelli williams says:

I used the recipe from Shakura Japanese Steak house that I googled. It was good.

July 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm
(17) Kim says:

if you google YUM YUM sauce you will find the recipe. It has tomatoe paste in it and it does taste like the real thing, but you have to use Hallmans mayonnaise only!!!!

September 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(18) Jamie says:

I just made #10 and it was amazing. Thank you, dinner was great =)

February 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(19) kevin says:

yes. #10 is correct. won’t taste just right at first. needs to sit overnight. yum.

April 8, 2013 at 10:59 am
(20) Jeff says:

I’ve had white sauce at two different hibachi restaurants. I love it a lot so wanted to make some of my own. I found the one recipe and it’s usually at the top of searches on how to make it. What confused me was the amount of mayonaise needed in the recipe. It said it tasted near identical so I followed the instructions exactly. Let it sit in the fridge over night then tried it with a rice and chicken dish. It tasted like watery mayonaise. Big surprise a recipe where you need over a cup of mayonaise then just teaspoons full of other ingredients. I threw it away and was extremely disappointed by the taste and waste of ingredients and time. If you do the mayonaise recipe expect it not to taste much different from plain mayonaise. Enjoy

November 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm
(21) me says:

Its amazing how ignorant and bad of cooks some people are. Someone actually suggested that you could buy authentic shrimp sauce at food lion. Remind me never to eat anything u make

February 4, 2014 at 3:55 am
(22) kk says:

Shrimp sauce IS sold at the market … bottled by different vendors with different recipes … some with ketchup, mayo, sugar, and spices and others with mayo, spices, vinegar, and sugar. Regardless of whether you want to make your own or buy it ready-made, it’s delicious with sautéed veggies and rice and shrimp … chicken and beef, too! Love it!
I will say I made the 1st recipe that comes up under All Recipes, and it’s nasty … search further.

February 12, 2014 at 5:38 pm
(23) Achieve says:

Food lion has a very nice shrimp sauce, it is equivalent to our local Jsh but a bit pricey

February 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm
(24) Brooke says:

Tried 10 and added rice vinegar abt a tbs(i cut the recipe in half though ᤾) and it was perfect and i eat at hiro in arkansas all the time.

March 13, 2014 at 12:58 am
(25) Toni says:

You have to use kewpie japanese mayo! I worked in the kitchen and it’s the above recipe but NOT with Hellmann, with Kewpie!!! Plus it Must sit overnight. Ketchup no tomato paste!